canning questions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by wehes5, Sep 12, 2005.

1. wehes5

wehes5 Some dream; Others DO

ok...can I hot bath can leftover home made chili that has cooked hamburger meat in it? What about sloppy joes? SOups...please give me some ideas thanks

P.s. do I have to peel tomatoes to can them?

2. raymilosh

raymilosh Well-Known Member

Basically, as i understand it, food that has its own preservative, such as salt, sugar or high acidity can be hot water canned. all others need pressure canning
    I'd really suggest doing some internet searches for specifics or buying a Ball Blue Book or other canning book, but to answer your question...
    No, i doubt it. Chili has lots of tomatos, so it might be acidic enough to inhibit the growth of botulism and other harmful bacteria, but chili has so many other ingredients, that i wouldn't bet on it being acidic enough. I would recommend it be pressure canned in the absence of more specific and reliable information to the contrary. Just to be on the safe side.
    pressure canners are pretty cheap and easy to use, by the way, but they will heat the house up. I either do it when it's cold in the house or do the canning outside.

3. big d

big d Member

no ...I have the Ball book .it list chili for pints 1 hr.15min /and quarts 1hr.30min. at 10 # pressure...but you could freeze youe left overs if you have the room ..as for tom. without peeling ???? :shrug: I'm not sure but it's really not that bad a job to peel.Just blanch them and the skin almost falls off and you have a very good tom. :goodjob:

thanxxxx
    big in KY. :sing: :sing:

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

The chili should be pressure canned even if it doesn't have meat in it. Unless you've put a great deal of vinegar in it the pH is going to be too high to safely boiling water bath can. Boiling water bath canning is for foods whose pH levels are acidic enough to deter the growth of Clostridium botulinum bacteria (botulism) which means that most soups, sloppy joes, and the like cannot be safely canned like that.

You don't have to peel tomatoes before canning them, but you'll have to deal with the peels when you go to use them.

If you want to safely home can foods do yourself a favor and get a copy of the Ball Blue Book. Many places that sell canning supplies will have the book. It's not very expensive.

.....Alan.

5. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Like everyone else has said, get the Ball Blue Book.

Whenever you're canning, unless you're following specific guaranteed directions (like from the Ball Blue book), you always find the ingredient that takes the longest time and most pressure, and can everything according to that.

So, if you're not following specific canning instructions for canning chili, you can it as if it were meat - no hot water bath.

6. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

No. As for the tomato skins, that's up to you.

7. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

If it has meat/fish/fowl in it it MUST be pressure canned for safety's sake, GET THE BALL BLUE BOOK!! With the new hybred fruits and veggies on the market now waterbath canning is not the way to go with anything you want to can and eat safely. Tomatoe skins most probably will be tough after canning.

8. george darby

george darby Well-Known Member

watch yard and estate sales and you can often find a pressure cooker cheep get a large one for canning we rarely can anything with meat in it and recent recomendations call for pumpkin to not be caned at all (too dense for good heat ) we can most of our tomatoes by running them thru a blender peal and all the juice has the peal small enough to not be noticed the seed does make a slight taste difference but not much give it a try and see if it suits your taste we open kettle tomato juice but always presure cann green beans and corn would not feel safe waterbathing low acid things

9. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Good advice given so far........yes.......the Ball Blue Book is a wonderful investment and if I remember right it is either $10 or less. If you plan on doing much food preservation besides freezing, a pressure canner is a necessity, not an optional thing. I am using mine all year. In the fall I fill the empty spaces in the freezer with the cheapest meat I can find and in the winter I make big pots of soups, stews etc. and can them in the pressure canner or freeze.

10. Well I went to our county fair this last weekend and I saw canned vegetable soup, chili, stew, corned beef, all kinds of pickled vegetables and just about anything you could think of.

However I just quickly flipped through our Ball canning book and yes you can pressure can stews, chili's, meat sauces, all with tomatoes in them. But all the recipes call for canned tomatoes or cooked tomatoes before canning.

11. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

Yes, all those things and more are canned at home, even milk is sometimes canned at home, BUT they must be pressured canned NOT water bathed, the tomatoes in them are not enought acid to protect you from botulisim. {The way the sentence is written sounds like it is ok if you want to do it, but water bathing might be ok too. }

Mixed foods MUST be pressure canned!

I pressure can EVERY thing! even tomatoes, it is easyer to raw pack and pressure can than to preheat the jars the food and seal it in big pots of boiling water and all the time and propane it takes.

Boiling for 10 minutes after the jar is opened BEFORE tasting, breaks down the botulisim toxin, the story shared about the poisoned carrots is to be taken seriously, if the lady had boiled those carrots and not tasted them strait from the jar, it is she would have been less likely to have become ill.

Tomato skins are optional. Left on they often feel like plastic cling film when eaten. The use of raw or pre cooked tomatoes doesn't matter, pressure canning does, it gets everything hot enough to be safe, pre cooked or not.

Even clean water, sealed into jars with a water bath canner can kill you. All it takes is one spore to get in the jar, then it grows in the oxigen free jar. Drink it without boiling it and you can die.