Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello :) I'm pretty new to canning and I have a (maybe stupid) question. I just moved into a house with mature apple trees. I collected as much as I could and attempted to make apple butter. It tastes delicious and the canning process went really well! But, when I look at the jars I can't help but think, it looks too chunky. So here's the question: is it OK to pop the seals, pour the apple butter back into a sauce pan and like, try to re cook it, then re can it?? I mean, it tastes really good, it just looks and feels a little more like apple sauce...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha, in general, I do tend to like things a bit chunkier... ;) BUT I am/was planning to give these away as gifts so I don't know what OTHER people will think about putting "applesauce" on their breads, hehe

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Just call it "chunky apple butter" and it will sound like a hip new thing, lol! :)

I vote for not changing it either. You might burn it or the taste could change for some odd reason. I also prefer jam or preserves to jelly or butter, so I'd probably like it chunky. Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
25,219 Posts
Just send the chunky stuff to me. I guarantee I will appreciate it. I like apple butter on english muffins and didn't buy any yet this year.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'd leave well enough alone. I went through the same thing years ago when I was new at canning. About half of the recooked apple butter went bad. After a few weeks, the lids started bulging and we had to throw it out. I don't know if it was because we recooked it, or because I was new at the process and did something else wrong. The bottom line is that I never recooked apple sauce or butter again, and never had a large failure like that again. If it's the consistancy of apple sauce, it'd be a lot easier just to relabel the jars to say "Applesauce" than to recook/can the whole batch. Just my 2 cents. Curt

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
I prefer my apple butter chunky and non sweet, I don't think there are any real rules to follow or break here. And, while I'd do the next batch differently, I would never reprocess an already canned batch unless it's inedible....just too lazy :)

Reactions: Tmama
1 - 14 of 14 Posts