Canning Pumpkin?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Buckrun, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Buckrun

Buckrun Well-Known Member

There is a recipe for Pumpkin Butter made in our crock pot. Is this what you would use to make pumpkin pie? I want a recipe to can my pumpkins for pie filling. It says to process in water bath canner for 40 minutes. I thought pumpkin would have to be pressure canned. what do you think

Steve

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I would not water bath pumpkin. I pressure can at 10 lb, 65 minutes. That's for solid pack, in pint jars. Quart jars would be for 80 minutes at 10 lb pressure, by my book.
    I cut the pumpkin in half, remove seeds, and if it's small enough, place half face down on a plate in the microwave to cook it first, maybe 20 minutes, or however long it takes to make it soft enough to spoon out and smash.
    mary

3. Buckrun

The recipe is
    2 cups cooked, pureed pumpkin
    1 cup white sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp ginger
    1/8 tsp ground cloves

Cook all ingredients for 3 hours then put in pint jars.

This is where I will pressure can for 65 minutes. I am new to this so am going to ask a dumb question. :eek: Is this for pumpkin pie filling? My kids love pumpkin pie. My wife makes it a couple times a year so I thought I would can some pumpkin pie filling. I haven’t been able to find anything in my canning books that I thought would be what I wanted. Will this work?

Steve

4. mary,tx

Sounds like it would work for pumpkin pie, a bit on the sweet side.
    When you get ready to make the pies, you'd mix in about 3 eggs, then fill the jar about half full of milk and add that in.
    Personally, I just cook and puree the pumpkin (skip the three hours of cooking) and can it in the pint jars without the sugar and spices. I add those when I make the pie, to my own taste.
    (I'd about half that on the sugar)
    mary

5. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

I read somewhere that they don't recommend canning mashed pumpkin anymore because of the desenity. Take that with a grain of salt :p . But I peel my pumpkin, cut it into 1" chunks, steam them until kinda soft, and then pressure can them. Just add boiling water to cover and process them at the times mary said. When I need to use a jar, I drain the pieces in a colander for an hour or so, mash it up and squeeze the juice out, and then proceed as the recipe says and add any spices, sugar, etc then. I've found it's soooooo much more flavorful than the store bought stuff. Good luck!
    Heather

6. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

They don't recommend canning it?? Then how is the stuff in the store canned? Really, I want to know, I've read too much about botulism. :eek:

7. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member Supporter

Commercially canned mashed pumpkin is processed under more heat and pressure and than you can accomplish in home canning. Pressure raises the heat level and since commercially the heat is higher anyway, plus the added pressure, they are able to process dense foods like mashed pumpkin safely. You just can't do that at home; however, it is safe to process pumpkin in chucks with water. The density is not any where near as dense in chunck with the addition of the water (the water acts as "spacers") and water in the jars also raises the temperature enough to safely process the pumpkin if done so in a pressure canner.

8. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

buckrun, you recipe is for pumpkin butter which is kind of like apple butter, its a sweet spread for bread. The reason it doesn't have to be pressure canned is because it has so much sugar that the sugar acts as a preservative. If you want to can pumpkin to use for pies, the best way to do it is with this recipe then just sweeten and flavor it when you open it and make your pies.
    Canned Pumpkin
    Remove seeds and peel from pumpkin. Cut in small chunks. Put in covered heavy pan with just enough water to keep it from sticking. I use about a half cup. Cook, stirring and mashing frequently, until it is soft. Put it in pint jars and put the lid on then pressure cook at 10 pounds for one hour and five minutes.

9. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

buckrun, I forgot to tell you that you can also can cushaw squash the same way and it also makes good pies, you just use the same recipe as pumpkin

10. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Isn't botulism killed when you reheat to a minimum fo 180F? Hmmm.
    I've always canned winter squash and pumpkin as a puree. Hope I'm not sickening anyone I give my pies to!! :eek:

11. mary,tx

I shouldn't think so. The book I'm using is only a few years old, and that's the way I do it. We've eaten lots and lots of pies done that way.
    mary

12. southerngurl

No, botulism is a toxin that is put off by bacteria that survive the canning process in a spore. (Hope I remember that right) Rest assured you'd know if you poisoned someone. They'd die. Just a teensy taste can kill you. :eek:

13. suelandress

Isn't that the same stuff they inject into wrinkles????????

14. southerngurl

They change it up a bit for wrinkles I believe. Botulism pretty makes nerves unable to do their job. So botox somehow relaxes wrinkles I think. I don't know, ask Kerry. Hehe

15. suelandress

If he is using it, it's not working!! :D

16. Buckrun

Well we worked all morning on some pumpkin pie filling. I hope it all works ok. I just cut it into chunks about 1" square. Cooked it in a pot with enough water to cover it. Then put it in jars with enough water to cover it. I then cooked it in the pressure canner for 1 hr and 15 min. It is cooling down now. Here is a picture of my best helper! Everybody needs a helper like her. :D

Steve

[​IMG]

17. suelandress

What an adorable little helper you have!!!