Canning pico de gallo

Discussion in 'Preserving the Harvest' started by Cntrygrl, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Cntrygrl

Cntrygrl Well-Known Member

Is it possible, and what kind of results would I get to can pico de gallo???

2. judylou

judylou Well-Known Member

It would all depend on the recipe you use. There are several tested and approved delicious salsa recipes that folks can all the time. As long as it contains sufficient acid (vinegar or bottled lemon or lime juice) it may be BWB canned. Otherwise it has to be pressure canned or frozen.

3. Pouncer

Pouncer Well-Known Member

Yes you can do it, judylou is quite correct about making sure you have sufficient acid content-when in doubt, add it.

I make salsa's, and have found that hot peppers tend to get hotter (I don't seed them which is likely the culprit) and I can hardly taste any of the cilantro at all. Go easy on cumin if its in your recipe, it can intensify in flavor.

4. dndweeks

dndweeks The Hopeful Homesteader

I know this is an older post, but I'm wondering if there is a reason bottled juice needs to be used. Can fresh squeezed juice be used as well?

5. sss3

sss3 Well-Known Member

I'm really interested in this thread. I like Pico de Gallo much better Salsa.

6. doingitmyself

doingitmyself Well-Known Member

Am i wrong or is Pico de Gallo is by nature cut by knife coarsely and made from fresh, served fresh. So it seems any canned version would likely end up coarse salsa? Maybe not?

I like the Pico better myself but a preserved version would be a stretch to mimic the fresh i think. I hope you find a close to true version and share? Good Luck!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
    Delrio and Irish Pixie like this.
  7. dndweeks

Pico de gallo is fresh salsa. I'm sure there are probably similar salsa recipes, so far me I'm just asking if I can use my favorite pico de gallo recipe which includes fresh squeezed lime juice or is there a reason bottled juice needs to be used? Once it is canned, it won't the same texture or freshness, but my hope is that it will have the flavor we really like.

8. PackerBacker

PackerBacker Well-Known Member

Bottled lemon juice is specified because the acidity of the juice is known. Unlike fresh.

9. Yvonne's hubby

Yvonne's hubby Murphy was an optimist ;) Staff Member

Once you can or freeze pico de gallo you have salsa. I see no problem at all with using fresh juice compared to bottled, go for the flavor you like best. I just finished making a good batch and canned it up in pints. I use a pressure canner and run pints for 20 minutes at 10 lbs pressure. I have done it this way for years with no problems. My recipe is primarily tomatoes, about 4 quarts worth, followed up by a couple of large onions, 2 or 3 bell peppers, a couple of cayennes, (all diced) then I add a bit of salt, cumin and sometimes (if I happen to have it) a few ears of sweet corn cut off the cobs. I usually let it simmer for an hour, maybe two depending on the tomatoes I used, until I have the nice thick consistency I like, hot pack into jars and process. Yummy stuff all winter long! :)

doingitmyself likes this.
  10. dndweeks

That makes sense.

Thanks.

11. dndweeks

This is the first time in years that I've actually canned anything so I'm trying to re-learn everything.

What is the process for freezing salsa/pico de gallo?

Do I need to use a pressure canner or can I use a water bath canner for canning my pico de gallo salsa?

12. Delrio

Delrio Well-Known Member Supporter

Canning it will completely change the flavor.

Osiris likes this.
  13. Osiris

Osiris Guest

BINGO! It's still good, but it's not fresh and the best pico de gallo is made fresh. The taste of 'fresh' cilantro, onions, tomatoes and lime cannot be preserved. Canning always cooks the contents. Ever had cooked pico de gallo in a Mexican restaurant? Me neither. It's okay, but it becomes more a salsa than a pico! Equally useful, but no longer what you started out making. Canning salsa is fine, but not Pico de gallo!