Canning on a glass flat top stove

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Quiver0f10, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Quiver0f10

Quiver0f10 Well-Known Member

I was told this was a no-no, so short of buying a new stove what can I do? I really want to be able to can my veggies next year.

2. gorgegirl

gorgegirl Active Member

Beautiful Columbia River Gorge, Washington State
    I've heard the same thing too. I have a glass top stove too. When we built our home, I didn't know this, otherwise I would have put in a different type of stove top. In fact, I had canned several times on it before I'd heard it was a no-no. I used a water bath canner.....not a pressure cooker. We have a pressure cooker and it is heavier than the water bath canner.

Since I've heard it was a no-no, I've still canned on mine. I figure the worst that could happen is that I'd have to replace it and I don't really like it anyway.....it's a pain to clean. Mine is white, so I'm sure that it's harder to keep clean than the black ones. If I had to do over again, I'd never have chose this type of cook top. I also use pint size jars to lessen the load on the stove.

One other note: I have a girlfriend that stood on her glass cooktop, while trying to clean the top of her cupboards.....and it broke. She wasn't very big.....maybe 115 lbs....but it'll give you an idea of how much weight they won't hold ;o).

gorgegirl

3. CowboyBunny

CowboyBunny Well-Known Member

This time of year I am canning on mine almost daily. Both water bath and pressure canner. Mine has the extra large size front burner which works great with the bigger size canners. When I purchased the stove two years ago I talked my canning needs over with the salesman and he recommended the one I have, I've also checked over the manuals and instructions sheets that came with it and nowhere does it mention not canning on it. I did purchase an extra warranty for the cooktop just in case though.

Tami

4. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

What I found when canning on my glass-top stove was, it would regulate the heat applied. It was hard to keep a good rolling boil going. It kept heating up, then slowing down. I finally found out (after I moved from that house) that there is a way to disable that feature. But, I'm not sure that would be safe. :shrug:

When I bought a stove for our farmhouse, I went back to the good ole reliable, controllable gas top stove. Harder to keep clean with DH's Italian cooking (tomato sauce!!), but I'm more comfortable with it for canning, etc.

5. jimandpj

jimandpj Well-Known Member

I just bought a pressure canner about 2 months ago - the all american 930. I was very nervous about using it, b/c I also have a glass top stove. Before using it, I scrape the stove to make sure that it is completely flat and there are no "pressure points" for the heavy weight of the canner to act upon. The All American has a flat bottom, so the weight of the canner is evenly distributed. I've used it almost a dozen times, and the stove hasn't cracked. My stove also does the on off thing with the burner, but I've never had any trouble keeping a rolling boil with the water bath canner.

I am so glad that I overcame my fear of cracking my stove and decided to try it. But, I definitely had my husband's approval to try despite the risk. If it had cracked, we would have been upset, but it wouldn't have been "my fault".

Hope that helps,
    PJ

6. blue gecko

blue gecko Well-Known Member

I can on mine too. I guess like Gorgegirl I figure if it breaks then I get to replace it. To tell you the truth I wish I had one of those restaraunt quality flat stanless griddle tops. The ones with the burners underneath would allow pots and pans to be used or the whole thing could be cooked on then scraped down. Am I crazy or what!

7. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

mrs oz here :)

I've only canned once since I've had mine. I was nervous the whole time that something would happen to it. So, from now on I'm going to use our propane burner that we use for our turkey fryer. Another bonus to doing that is that I don't heat up the house.

8. wendys_goats

wendys_goats wendys_goats

I had an older ceramic top model and when I canned on it it would take forever to get the pressure up the results were over cooked food and eventually when I was canning on it and I do believe I was just doing a hot water bath the top cracked all the way across, boy was that an aweful noise almost sounded like a gun going off.

9. Lucy

Lucy Well-Known Member

Pressure canners need to be flat on the bottom in order to use on a glass top stove. Some glass top stoves work for pressure canning, others don't. You take a risk of it cracking or the sensor not allowing it to even get hot enough to keep it boiling. Any pot you use on a glass top stove should not be more than 2 inches larger than the diameter of the heating element on the stove.
    Most all of the sites I find selling pressure canners say the canners are not meant to be used on a glass top stove.
    The water bath canners say the same thing, except for one I found online that is flat on the bottom.
    You need to check with your stove manufacturer to see if you may can on it without risk of damage to your stove.

10. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

We have pressure canned on our glass-top stove for a number of years now...I heard for the first time a few months ago on the cooking and crafts forum that it may not be a good idea. I guess since it is the only stove I have use of during the summer and fall that I'll continue to do it. :shrug: I hope I don't break it though...I do love the stove. :rolleyes:

11. via media

via media Tub-thumper

That's what I do. They're on sale at Wally World for $37...lots cheaper than a replacement stove!

/VM

12. RenieB

RenieB Well-Known Member

When I bought my glass top stove I asked about it and they said it was not good to can on them. But I do have a small gas stove also and that I use for canning. Some people can on coleman stoves.

RenieB

13. Quiver0f10

Quiver0f10 Well-Known Member

I will have to look into this. I never thought of a propane burner. This sounds like an easy & cheap solution for me! Thanks :)

14. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

I'm about ready to replace our electric (coil) counter top range with a smooth top. I've been checking them out for 2-3 years now and some store reps say no, don't do it and others say they aren't sure. So I contacted one of the manufacturers (Whirlpool) who said "no problem" as long as the bottom of my canner is smooth.

I'm doing a little more research and then when I decided what my top choices are, I'll call the manufacturers to verify the canning question before ordering.

15. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Manufacturer says dont can on mine--and for what it cost, i dont. blasted nuisance, but i dont think the heat would regulate well enough on mine either.no--i dont like it--even a lil bit. i canned this year on a 2 burner gas camp style stove, in my dining room. over 500 jars, and it works fine. incidentally, somewhere there was a link to small elec burners to use for canning--from amazon. if you follow up, it says not to be used for canning.

16. T.K.

T.K. T.K.

I've got a glass top cook stove and I've canned on it for at least ten years. The only concession I made was I bought a smooth bottom canner when I bought the stove. It has worked well, never have a problem maintaining a rolling boil. I've also used a pressure canner and a steam canner on this stove, never had a problem and I can quite a bit.

17. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

In the Summer we use the King Kooker (turkey fryer) in the garage (drafts/wind) are a problem. And it keeps the heat out of the house.
    I've also heard of folks buying an oversized electric burner (toastmaster brand I think).