canning milk

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Al. Countryboy, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I froze and canned my milk last year and froze some this year. We use the canned milk mostly in cooking. I canned in quart sized jars, but am looking for half-gallon sizes. I found some on the internet and the price was ok $7.95 for six jars, but the shipping was over $10.00. This is just too much. I live in Al. and those I have found are far off which makes shipping high. Anyone have any ideas on how or where to find some half-gallon jars. Thanks.

2. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I went to a bar b q joint and they gave me 5 or 6 gallon pickle jars they had stacked up in the back. Those are what I use to strain my milk into and keep in the fridge. Don't know about 1/2 gallon jars. Are those really large jars of pickle relish 1/2 gallon? If so, maybe a place that uses a lot of pickle relish, hot dog place?

3. NewlandNubians

NewlandNubians Well-Known Member

Try estate sales if you have them in your area. also yard sales and thrift stores. Other than that, can't help you.

4. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

My daughter in law found where half gallon jars could be shipped to our local ACE hardware for $8.99 for six and the shipping was free from Oct. 11-29.I ordered five boxes and they will be in on Tuesday. :) :)