Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know how to can lemon curd. Can I water bath it, or must it be canned with a pressure canner?
Thanks,
Mickey

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sorry folks, I don't have any special recipe either, but I have lots of lemons to use up. I was going to use one of the recipes I found online.
Are you out there Lucy, we need you! LOL
Mickey

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
Heres one of my recipes.

Ingredients:

Grated rind and juice of 6 lemons
13 oz preserving or granulated sugar (This recipe uses less sugar than usual; if you prefer a sweeter curd, increase the quantity by up to a third.)
5 oz butter, softened
5 eggs, beaten

Method:

1. Put the lemon rind and juice in a small pan with the sugar. Heat gently, stirring until the sugar has disolved. Add the butter and stir until melted.
Transfer the mixture to a double boiler or a bowl placed over a pan of barely simmering water.

2. Seive in the eggs and cook very gently, stirring frequently, for 25 - 40 minutes, (patience needed), until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Don't allow it to boil or it will curdle.

3. Pour the curd into warm sterilized jars and seal. Allow to cool, then keep refrigerated.

Yeilds about 1 1/2 lb. Has a shelf life of 3 months, refrigerated.

Nice curds can also be made using Passion Fruit, and Ruby Red or Pink Grapefruit.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Mickey,
You will need to use bottled lemon juice if you can it. Fresh lemons are not consistent in acidity, so yours may or may not be acidic enough. Bottled lemon juice must meet a certain acidity standard to be sold. You can use the recipe from USDA that Alan sent the link for. Personally, I just make a microwave lemon curd and freeze it instead. The canning recipe only has a short shelf life, anyway. It turns brown and unappetizing. So, in case you want an easy way to make a freeze, this is how I make it.
Here is the recipe I use:
Microwave Lemon Curd
2- 3 fresh lemons
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
Finely grate the lemon peel. Squeeze lemons to make 1/2 cup lemon juice into a microwaveable 4 cup container. Stir in rind, butter, and sugar.Microwave uncovered on high for 1 and 1/2- 2 minutes. or until butter melts and mixture is hot.
Beat eggs in a bowl. Gradually add the hot lemon mixture to the eggs, stir constantly. Return to the microwave container and microwave on med. for another 1- 2 min., stir every 30 seconds, until it is thickened. Do not boil. It will thicken as it cools.
Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or freeze for longer storage.
Makes 1 2/3 cups.
Variations:
Use 1 lime, tangerine, or orange in place of one lemon.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I grew up working in my parents restaraunt, which was a tea house. I've made many a batch of curd. I would can or freeze the juice then make curd fresh. It's not hard to make, and then you have the option of using the juice other ways.

BTW, most curd recipies can be cooked in the microwave. The secret is many short shots in the microwave. If you try to just cook it in one shot you get scrambled eggs with lemon sauce!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
If it's got eggs and butter in it, it shouldn't be 'canned'.

I spoon mine as soon as it's done into small jars, and seal immediately. A vacuum forms inside the jar, giving a hermetic seal. I store in the fridge for up to one month only. It can be frozen.

Lemon curd (I call it Lemon Butter, my mother called it Lemon Cheese) is a culinary delight. It's a spread you can put on toast, or use to flavour ice cream, or use as an individual tart filling, or on scones, or as a spread between cakes. It is very rich and lemony and utterly delectable.

Lemon Butter (Curd)
6 lemons (make sure they are fully ripe)
500g sugar (1lb)
6 eggs
125g butter (4oz)

Beat eggs at high speed until light, add sugar. Place in a double saucepan with the butter and grated rind of 2 lemons. Squeeze out the juice of the lemons and add to the egg mixture. Cook over low heat until thick. Bottle and seal. Will keep, refrigerated, for about one month.

Lemon Bread and Butter Pudding
Thoroughly grease a pie dish and one-third fill it with soft breadcrumbs. Dot with butter. Pour in enough milk to just cover the crumbs. Place a layer of lemon butter, about 1cm thick (oh heck, be generous!), over mixture. Then beat together 2 eggs and 2 tablespoons sugar. Add sufficient milk to the beaten eggs and sugar to fill the pie dish to within 1cm of the top. Pour into pie dish, stirring gently. Bake in a moderately slow oven for 45-60 minutes until custard is set. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

You can make Lime Butter with limes, or Orange Butter with oranges, or Grapefruit Butter with grapefruit, or combinations.

Be warned: you cannot stop at one spoonful.

Best made in the top of a double boiler over gently simmering water. Stir constantly and don't allow it to boil. It should be the consistency of a thick custard, easily spreadable. It should stay on the spoon if you hold it briefly upside down.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
It is similar to the filling in a lemon meringue pie ! I love the stuff. Still a bit tangy, but just enough sweet to not be sickening and lose the lemon flavor to the sugar.
I could sit and eat it out of the jar.
Makes great little tarts with some Cool Whip or whipped cream on top.
I suppose the curd cooked on the stove may be better, but I sure liked the ease of the microwave recipe. Hardly a thing to wash,either.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Commercial, store-bought stuff is a very poor relation to the real home-made stuff. It only takes a few minutes to make. It is seriously more-ish.

A

·
0 Posts
The recipe I link to above is from the U.S. National Center for Home Food Preservation and is safe to be boiling water bath canned. For myself I wouldn't be adverse to using my own fresh lemons, but others may want to use bottled juice.

.....Alan.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts