Canning Jars

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by babytigger, Jun 7, 2004.

1. babytigger

babytigger Guest

I'm looking for good, clean canning jars. I'll pay a reasonable price for them along with shipping and handling. If anyone has any laying around I'd love to have them. Please help.

2. Shipping charges on jars could get expensive. You'd prpobably not pay any more for new ones than buying used jars and paying for the shipping and handling.

3. evilbunny

evilbunny Well-Known Member

Big lots has pints and quarts $5.99 for a dozen. I havent seen a time when they dont have them and arent cheaper than any other place

4. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Ask your friends and coworkers to save you the Classico spaghetti jars- they are mason, 26 oz and great for small pressure canners.

5. Buckrun

Buckrun Well-Known Member

I wish I could find more 1/2 gal. canning jars. I have about 20 of them and want at least that many more! :(
    Steve

6. george darby

george darby Well-Known Member

The Biglots Jars Are Cheeper Than You Think When Comparing To Used Jars The Rings And Lids Come With Them ,someone Said Aims? Hardware Would Order 2quart Jars In With No Shipping Charge Just Have To Wait For Thier Next Regular Delivery Other Places Might Do The Same , Flea Markets Are Often Too High Considering That Jars Are Often A Very Low Bid Item At Farm Auctions Sometimes A Half Truck Load For A Buck.............

7. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Our local 'penny saver' newspaper always has jars for sale or giveaway. Check yours. Better yet, put a 'wanted' ad in for free and prepare to go get them. Its that easy.

I agree Big Lots and the X-marts have them for decent prices.

8. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Just be careful not to use mayonaise jars and the like. Prego spagheti jars are probably okay as are the Classico ones mentioned in the above post. But the other ones aren't meant for canning - they have thinner walls and tend to either shatter or break when you least expect it. I can go through two or three cannings with them and then POOF the next one is too much...or the first one...I gave up trying to figure it out and went with straight canning jars. OH - and the Dollar Genreal has them for $5.99 a dozen (with lids) for quart jars and $4.99 a dozen for pints. The local hardware store either carry or can get in the larger 1/2 gallon or even gallon jars.

Question: Does anyone ever try to use the great big one gallon pickle jars that you can get at Sam's? I'm trying to decide if there are lids out there that might fit them, too! :)

Sarah

9. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Walmart has cases of Harvest Gold pints and quarts for $4.95.

10. babytigger

babytigger Guest

Thank you for the Big Lots advice. Went there and got a few boxes there. *They didn't have enough in stock*, and I went to Wal-Mart also, and got Ball jars cheap also.

11. babetteq

babetteq Well-Known Member

I get mine at the thrift store in the late winter, early spring. Everyone who *thought* they wanted to start canning (probably the same people who wanted a garden until their 400th zuchini came up) give them away. I buy them in Canada for about 25c each instead of 7-9$ a dozen. Surely your thrift stores have them too?