canning jars freeze

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Taletha, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Taletha

Taletha Member

Hello, I have a question. I have my canned vegetables in a little house we use for storage. I am wondering how much freezing temps they can stand without breaking? It has been in the 20's here and they have been fine. But the next few days we are suppose to have wind chills below zero. There is not electric or heat in the house. Could I cover them with a big quilt and insulate them? Any ideas? Thank you.
    taletha

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

Man, after all the work you did canning the stuff, why take a chance? Bring them in and store them under your bed or someplace they aren't going to freeze.

3. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

They won't care about wind chills but if the temp in there gets below freezing, at some point you're going to be in trouble. You might get away with a blanket tonight but that isn't going to work indefinitely. Winter is just starting and eventually you're going to need to move them or provide some supplemental heating to that space. The jars will crack once they freeze.

4. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

We don't have more than one or two days of freezing here, so I can't help with the canning question....but your posting name is the same as my gg and g grandmothers'. Any relatives from Alabama?

5. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i would recommend getting the wide mouth tapered jars. i am not certain but i think they can be frozen. the taper may allow for expansion. but wait for a canning veteran and do not take my word on this.

i have canned and been around it all my life but we never had freezing concerns as we have a good root cellar.

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

You are real lucky they haven't already frozen and broken. Time to scurry around and find a spot in the heated house for them!

7. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't freez thing that have been pressure canned, but I do use my canning jars to freeze stuff in the freezer and never had a problem. But that could be because there was more headroom?

8. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Taletha, You've put so much hard work into those jars - Don't take a chance. Move them into the house. Keep them in a closet or under the bed if you don't have any space. They will definately freeze and crack - not only will you lose the food but also the jars and your time spent filling them.

9. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

I have to chime in and say it is not a good idea to keep your canned jars in an area where they will freeze AND thaw then re-freeze. That is the scenerio I see happening in your storage building. The risk is more likely to the seal than to the jars. And yes, you do risk losing your entire food storage.

I have to second the counsel to move those jars to a better location. Are there items stored in the house that could be moved to a storage building? If you store in large plastic bins with snap-on lids they are usually mouse-proof and everything else proof.

So may I encourage you to do a bit of re-organizing. Think of it as a winter present to yourself as reward for your summer work!

BW

10. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

I second BeckyW's reply. The seals will break and if the jars freeze solid enough the jars will break.

Best to move them to a location that you don't have to worry about the temp freezing or getting too hot.

We once had a house that had a tall foundation under one end of it. I stored my canned goods there. It was the perfect temp for them, neither too cold or too hot. Summer and winter.

11. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

ouch, that heart hurts my eyes...lol.

12. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

We have had success keeping cans in refridgerators in our Motor Home.

I can't say they do not freeze, but they don't bulge or void their seals. They are also cans- not jars.

Otherwise, it would be best to keep them inside until you monitor the temp in that building at 5 am on the coldest night.

Be Well,

Rick

13. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I would recommend making space under tables, benches, the beds, wherever you can store them without going to the other extreme and put them too near a heat source.

Personal experience says that cleaning up broken jars or losing food to broken seals is miserable.

Perhaps you can make a lovely holiday display? ;)

But do bring them in. As Becky W said, think of it as a gift to yourself.

Pony!

p.s. Yes, you can use mason jars for freezing, but you have to start out with that intent. There are directions for freezing in the Ball Blue Book.

14. raymilosh

raymilosh Well-Known Member

As an experiment, I'd recommend bringing in the bulk of them and leaving a few out there to see how they fare

15. Taletha

Taletha Member

Thanks for all the help. We brought them in, glad we did it got 13 below zero here!! plus wind. It doesn't do that very often here, ( north west Oklahoma) maybe 3 times a winter. I think that the cinnamon and lime pickles would be ok with some cold since they have alot of sugar in them. But not sure.

JAN------No I don't have any relatives in Alabama. My Mom says she got my name out of the Bible. Where Jesus raised the little girl everyone thought has died. He said Talitha cumi> which means Little girl rise.