Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
up at countryside site, under tight wad tips, there is a video abut the new lids made by ball and kerr....the seal will only last a year.....check this out is not good news for us preppers....kerr and ball need to hear from all of us...

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
That's horrible news! I suppose they are using some kind of cheaper rubber that degrades. It would be heartbreaking to find all our jars unsealed....

There used to be a product you could paint on like nail polish, that made a new seal in the lid. Does that exist anymore?

·
de oppresso liber
16,876 Posts
Find this too hard to believe. They would be opening themselves up to HUGE law suits if someone got sick from eating something from a jar which had unsealed because they had made the lid to do so.

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
Find this too hard to believe. They would be opening themselves up to HUGE law suits if someone got sick from eating something from a jar which had unsealed because they had made the lid to do so.
Same reason ammo manufacturers won't make powder that has a time limit on it, as was suggested by some idiot legislators.

The internet is great, but is also a great source of baloney.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Anything to make it rougher for folks....some of the companies have changed the size if the quart jars so you can't hardly get the rack full in a canner.....and if you really want to see difference in jars....pick up a Ball Mason from the 1950's and one made in the last 20 years the old ones weigh about twice as much..............So jar lids are going like other stuff you buy.....planned obolesence

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Reusable are so expensive but I was checking out the ones in the Leman's catalog. They get great reviews ... and I'd like to stop using Ball if possible since it's clear their quality has gone way down.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I hope it's not true, but there was a thread on here a few weeks ago about how the silver canning lids weren't sealing reliably. I find it believable that they've cheapened the lids, even if they didn't plan for them to unseal in a year.

I've got a bunch of Tattler lids and use them. They're expensive but work well. However, most of the lids I have stored up are standard canning lids.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Ball and kerr are the only canning lids I trust ( course they are both the same company), I have had very few failures with their lids, and several failures with cheap lids.

I hope this info is false.

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
up at countryside site, under tight wad tips, there is a video abut the new lids made by ball and kerr....the seal will only last a year.....check this out is not good news for us preppers....kerr and ball need to hear from all of us...
This is a nightmare-Please keep us updated!

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
I saved all the lids from my Ball jars last year. I thought I could just reuse them?
Yes. as DBA said it is not recomended. But in an emergency, I also save them, takeing them off carefully. Boil in water with bakeing soda to "fluff" the rubber just a bit. I have done this just for test. In the 70's there was a shortage on lids, we did all kinds of things to reuse.

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
So..if you can only use them once anyway then whats the big deal about them saying that about the new lids?
Because that would meen any food we put up would go bad when the seal fails after a year. Most of us that cann have alot of jars that contain food over 1 year old. It is still good for many years as long as it stays sealed and kept properly.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
That video posted is a bunch of baloney. Ball recommends using canned food within a year like the USDA advises. It nowhere says that their lids will fail after a year. I have thousands of jars done up. I have used older lids, new lids, & Tattler lids & they are all fine. I have pears from 2005 that we are still eating. The 1 year shelf life is because the nutrient value of the food starts to decline after that so they recommend eating your canned goods before a year is up. That doesn't mean the lids are going to magically pop open after a year. Some people read way too much into some things.
Another issue she had was that it is no longer suggested to simmer your lids before use. That is something that hasn't had to be done since they changed the type of rubber used in like 1969! I have never heated any of my throw away lids. I do the Tattler lids & rubber rings. I can stuff to last for more than a year & this woman trying to scare people into believing the lids aren't going to stay sealed for longer than a year is crazy. How would that lid know when a year was up?

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Watcher is exactly right. If the lids were prone to failure after a year they'd be out of business already, and hiding from the lawsuits in Indonesia.

We use Ball, Kerr, Tattler and have only had problems with the Tattlers until we figured out there's a difference between MY "finger tight" and my WIFE's "finger tight". I was tightening them down like a Kerr, and you can't do that with Tattlers. The rubber gasket for Tattlers will seal prior to canning if it's screwed down too tight, not allowing the gasses to escape during canning.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
there is another video posted up there she is kind of back tracking what she said.. and ball has a answer also..for her...crisis over....lol just watch your jars....the lids are diffrent from the old ones..

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I didn't read the replies but wanted to add that a year ago I read that"metal" cans are sealed differently now. Instead of the tops being "welded on they are "epoxyed" on and it is now failing to maintain a seal. This applies to "store bought" Items.Use caution.

Wade

1 - 20 of 29 Posts