Canning green beans

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Timber, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Timber

Timber Well-Known Member

We have too many green beans this year, so we bought a French Bean Slicer. The question on canning them using vacuum bag and freezing method... how to?

We put up cut beans (vacuum bag/ freezing) by blanching them first.
    Could one just wash, slice, freeze and skip the blanching?

Timber

2. Debbie in IL

Debbie in IL Active Member

No - you need to blanch in order to deactivate the enzymes which will eventually spoil your beans. Yes it is a pain, but well worth it in mid winter when you pull one of those bags from the freezer. Enjoy!

3. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

I do not blanch mine...I put them in freezer zip lock bags and fill them with water. They are great and just like fresh...They do not get freezer burned because of the water. They only thing you have to remember that you cant fill the bag all the way because it expands when you freeze it. This is not a recommended method but i really like it and my bean are great. Try it with some and see what you think.

Belinda

4. Bret F

Bret F Well-Known Member

We fully cook a pot of beans with some ham chunks, then freezer bag it with lots of the liquid in each bag. They just need reheated when we take them out. We have had some up to five years in the freezer this way and were as good (or poor in some instances) as when we froze them.

5. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

I find blanching in the microwave to be much easier. Use a shallow microwaveable dish and spread the beans out put a little water in, cover with plastic wrap but leave a little opening, cook for 5-7 min remove plastic carefully and cool the beans off and package.

6. Debbie in IL

I have a question re blanching in the microwave. I usually cook beans a total of 6 minutes in the microwave. What quantity are you doing and what is your microwave wattage? Sounds like a great idea, and would definitely beat all the boiling water in the kitchen in August on, I just wouldn't want the veggies overcooked. We like ours crisp tender.

Thnaks!

Debbie

7. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi, I don't know the wattage right off (the microwave is down in our summer kitchen) and it is quite a good bit of beans. I had Frenched them but I guess it would work with the whole beans. I used a large round ceramic bowl with low edges. We like our beans very tender. I would think as long as they are very hot thruout they would be blanched. Guess it would be necessary to try different times since you like yours so crisp. It sure is faster and cooler. Sorry I can't be more specific. Rita

8. Debbie in IL

Rita,

Thanks for the info. I will experiment using the microwave next time - sure would keep the kitchen cooler!

Debbie

9. Can't remember..........didn't microwave ovens come out in the mid-70's?
    Where would we be without microwave ovens and microwave food?
    I wonder.............

Mike M