Canning deer

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by LWB, Jan 17, 2004.

1. LWB

LWB Well-Known Member

I got a 22 qt. Mirro pressure canner for Christmas. It holds seven qt. jars. I followed the instructions that came with it and canned 7 jars of stew meat off of a buck my wife killed. I waited over two weeks to open a jar. Today I opened one and poured it in the pot along with a bag of frozen vegetables, a can of mushroom soup and a can of stewed tomatoes, covered it with water and seasoned it with Tony C's, brought it to a boil and put the top on and simmered for 45 minutes. It was without a doubt the best stew I have ever cooked and I have been cooking them for many years. It sold me on canned deer meat. Yall ought to try it.

2. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

I highly agree. DH & I put up 21 quarts this year of venison and it's great. Tender, ready to season and eat! Will do it again!

Nance

3. Oregonsparkie

Oregonsparkie Well-Known Member

Hey LWB,

How 'bout emailing me some of that stew. YOU do need an unbiased opinion don't you??

4. noahs_wife

noahs_wife Member

Canned venison also tastes great in sanwiches.Sometimes when I am in hurry and need quick meal I just open a jar and heat it up put a little seasoning in it and serve it on humberger buns.This past hunting the hubby didn't get a deer and I only have 4 jars left :waa:

5. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

I agree with you LWB! Can't beat it! I also like venison cubes with gravy over homemade egg noodles. MMMMMmmmm, now I'm hungry.

6. I'm glad you people posted this. I still have two front halves of deer in the freezer to cut up and do something with and I have been wanting to try canning deer meat. I let my wife read this post and I think it has convinced her to try canning some it. So now we are going to try to tackle the quest on the next Saturday we are both at home.

7. grandee

grandee Member

I fixed your recipe for venison stew for dinner tonight and it was absolutely delicious. I love canned deer meat and substitute it for beef allot in my cooking.
    Thank you LWB for sharing this with us. :)

8. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

i believe deer would be so much easier to can if their darned legs weren't so long

9. noahs_wife

noahs_wife Member

You know what else is good to make with canned venison? Chilie.. Just made a batch of it last night. Now I am down to 2 jars of venion :( I will miss it when it is gone. But I have a beef that will take its place ;)
    Wendy D

10. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

Hey Joan - I don't have any trouble with those long legs - just break them and fold them up! It's those antlers I have trouble with - keep poppin' the seals on my jars! :haha:

Nance

11. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

Well folks, I must say the same thing about canned bear meat as venison. Give it a try and help rid the world of bears. After cutting and gutting and chilling the carcass, I spend the time to fill my stockpot with meat, lightly seasoning, and cooking just enough to get it to boiling. Then pack my hot jars and into the pressure canner.

Comes out so tender and tasty I cannot comprehend anybody not eating it. And I especially like keeping the wretched bruins out of my fruit trees as much as eating them.

bearkiller