Canning chicken noodle soup, jelly, chicken jerky?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by EmpressG, Jul 20, 2004.

1. EmpressG

EmpressG Member

I have an excess of eggs and chicken...(250 lbs more to butcher, 45lbs in the fridge!) I was thinking of canning chicken noodle so it is "ready to eat". Or should I just forget about that idea since you have to heat canned meat 10 minutes when you open it anyway (according to my 'net reasearch) and store the noodles dried?

Also I founf "itty bitty" little canning jars at the thrift store that take regualr size lids (like 4oz jars). Can you stack them in a pressure canner so you can do more than one row at a time? Maybe fashion a wire rach of some kind to facilitate this?

I have never pressure canned but am willing to give it a shot. Also has anyone ever dried chicken to preserve it or made "chicken jerky"? With as much as
    I have I am open to possibilities!

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I'd love to know the answer about chicken jerky myself!

Yes you can stack the jars. You need to keep the water level low enough not to cover any lids tho.

I think you will be happier with the soup if you only put chicken or chicken and vegies in your jars and add the noodles when you heat the soup for eating. And don't put too much liquid in the jars.

How many chickens do you have? Are they the cornishxrock? Just curious.

3. Yes, you can make chicken jerky, or at least turkey jerky, and it would be the same. There used to be a turkey jerky plant in Kingsburg, CA. It may still be there.

4. Hi,
    I have canned lots of chicken.I would raw pack it in quart jars. you can put onions celery, peppers, or anything in it., But noodles, get mussy. So i always add my noodles, when I open the jars. but it is really good.
    On quart jar, will make soup for 2, fi you add some water to it, and your noodles. amybe three, but My hubby is a big eater, so i usually do two jars at a time.I have also made pot pies from this, and it is wonderful.
    I always add, one chicken bullion cube to each quart. It adds flavor, and makes the broth nice and rich. IT is wonderful.
    Sorry , I tried to log in , and I did, but wouldn't let me post. messed up I guess. oh well,
    good luck, and enjoy your chicken.
    debitaber

5. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I made turkey jerky one time, & my son & husband loved it. I used raw turkey breast & dried it in the oven at 175 degrees, so any bacteria that might have been in it would be killed. Can't remember how I seasoned it; probably just salt & pepper. We like chicken vegetable stew & I can quarts of chicken broth with about 1 1/2 cups of boned chicken in with it. When I start to make the stew, I take the meat out, put in carrots, taters, onion, noodles, etc., & when everything is done, I put the meat in & let it simmer a few minutes. The chicken will still be in chunks & not cooked all to pieces. The broth & chicken can also be used for chicken & dumplings, chicken & spaghetti, chicken & dressing....very handy when you are in a hurry.

6. EmpressG

EmpressG Member

How many chickens do you have? Are they the cornishxrock? Just curious.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I got them from www.moyerchicks.com. We bought 100 and have about 50 left to butcher. I think I prefer slaughtering them when they are cornish game hen size. They are easiest to sell and butcher.