canning Catfish

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by luv2farm, Jul 26, 2011.

1. luv2farm

luv2farm Well-Known Member Supporter

sorry for the cross post.......but There seems to be more traffic here, and I'm needing an answer....

Is it possible to can catfish? I know its possible, but is it any good? Anyone ever done this? Do I have to fillet it first, or just stick it in the jar? I need some help......anybody ever done this??

2. whatrset

whatrset Well-Known Member

Not sure how good, I you can bet I'll try it if I can catch some fish soon!

http://www.cattracker.com/Cooking/kitchen.htm

Canned CatFish
    Catfish chunks skinned and with large bones removed
    1/2 tsp. canning salt
    2 Tbsp. catsup
    1 Tbsp. white vinegar
    1 Tbsp. oil

Fish should be cut into 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 inch pieces. Drain well. Fill pint jars 1 inch from top. Add to each jar the ingredients listed above. Seal jars and process in pressure cooker for 1 hour and 40 minutes at 15 pounds pressure. The fish can be eaten as soon as the jars have cooled.

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

I'd can them as whatrset submitted but only from April through June up here. July cats have just too much fat and we mostly stop trying to catch them. Probably different if they are "fiddler" cats where everything they eat goes to making meat. I haven't canned catfish but have done lake salmon and suckers with good results.

Martin

4. Cheribelle

Cheribelle Well-Known Member Supporter

My aunt used to can carp. The many bones make it kind of difficult to eat, but canned, the bones disappear like sardines. It was good, she did several "flavors" like they do the canned sardines. Mustard is my fav.