Canning Carp

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by puffdog, Jan 21, 2004.

1. puffdog

puffdog Active Member

I remember several years back a friend had some patties made by his wife . They taste like salmon but he said they where made from crap (the fish ) said his wife canned them . Has anyone ever tryed this or was he pulling my leg or maybe he was full of crap :haha:

2. Bluebonnet

Bluebonnet Active Member

Well my grandmother used to can Carp and it tasted pretty much like salmon when made into patties so it can be done. As to whether your friend is full of crap; you would be a better judge. Get out your Ball Blue Book and follow the instructions on canning fish which I am sure is there. Enjoy.

3. He may or may not have been pulling your leg, but I have eaten a lot of canned carp. Way back when I was a kid we didn't have a freezer and we only went to town about every two weeks. Beef was a rare treat, so canned carp was a welcome change from cured pork. There was a large creek (crick was the local term) that ran through our farm. When the carp were rolling in the fall Dad, and many other folks in the area, harvested lots of them by various means. While I don't remember the exact method she used Mom canned them in glass quart jars and pressure cooked them, similar to canning greens beans. I think she just put chunks of fish in a jar added a little salt and filled it with water. The pressure canning process cooked the bones until they were hardly noticeable. If they are out of clear water the taste does resemble salmon, and is used pretty much the same. I have eaten a lot of carp croquettes and carp loaf.

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I always made sure I cut the Mud Vein out packed it in pint Jars,no water,90 minutes 10 pounds pressure.

big rockpile

5. Been a while since I've had it but love it just as much as salmon mackeral. Every spring/summer I hope to find a boat load of rough fish just so I can take on the canning task. Luckily for my wife I haven't had such luck.

6. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

and the canning itself is so easy since you don't have to put up with the leg problem as with deer

7. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Caught a 25 pound carp in clear water. Decided then and there that I would can the next one. Bought a big pressure canner to be ready but have not caught another carp. I gotta get out more.

As Rock says, skin and cut out the mud vein, cut into chunks that will fit the jar. Pack in salt water or oil, some people put in garlic, pressure cook until bones are soft. Use just like canned salmon.

You can do the same thing with buffalo.
    Ox

8. Ducks limited

Ducks limited Member

Here is a recipe for canning carp, suckers, or any "rough" fish. Fillet and wash fish. Do not soak in brine as you would for most fish. Fill pint jars with chunked up fish. Leave 1 half inch head space but pack firmly. To each jar add:
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. vinegar (vinegar dissolves the bones)
    2 tsp. catsup (for color only)
    1 tsp. cooking oil.
    Cap and process 90 minutes at 10 psi.
    After the jars have cooled, open one, add some crackers and your favorite beverage, Enjoy!
    If you want firmer meat scale the fish and leave the skin on.