Canning at a higher pressure than called for??

Discussion in 'Preserving the Harvest' started by InTownForNow, Jul 29, 2012.

1. InTownForNow

InTownForNow Well-Known Member

I pressure canned potatoes the other night for the right amount of time,but it was supposed to be at 11 lbs and it wouldn't get below 15lbs even though I turned the heat way down, like almost off. They sealed and look good.is there anything unsafe about canning at a higher pressure than what is needed for my altitude?

Thanks!
    Intown

2. Pam in KY

Pam in KY Well-Known Member

I had the same thing happen to me for my very first canning project 10 days ago. Were you using a glass top stove by any chance?

From what I've gleaned on this site & elsewhere, more pressure is ok, less is a no-no. It better be or my hot dogs & bacon are gonna be a loss.

3. mekasmom

mekasmom Well-Known Member Supporter

It can make some foods mushy, but that's not usually a problem. I always can at 15lbs. It's just easier than messing with the jiggler weight thing to change it back and forth to a lower weight.

Sonshine likes this.
  4. Macybaby

Macybaby I love South Dakota Supporter

When I canned on a glass top stove, I had to turn the heat near off to keep the pressure from rising. That was before I got the 3 piece weight set for my Presto.

5. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

I can on a glass stove top and dont have any problem. I turn my burner on high and went it gets to the correct pressure I start turning the burner down little at a time.

6. lathermaker

lathermaker Well-Known Member Supporter

Like Pam in KY said, more pressure is OK, but below pressure can serve you up a batch of botulism.

I did this once. The food was OK, but a tad on the soft side. (it was beef)

Sonshine likes this.