Canned Milk

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tngirl, Aug 17, 2004.

1. tngirl

tngirl Well-Known Member

I heard from someone on the site that it is possible to can milk. I was considering that as opposed to freezing my goat's milk because my jars are always breaking in the freezer. But, does anyone know how the milk tastes after being canned?

2. #1 DogMom

#1 DogMom Well-Known Member

The goats milk that I canned tasted very similar to that of the evaporated milk you buy in the stores. It doesn't taste good straight from the jar, but if you use it recipes like you would evap. milk it is just fine. I also used it in my pumpkin pie recipes. It didn't have a "goaty" flavor at all. One other thing about it is that it turns a most beautiful lt. brown color because of the sugar content that's naturally in the milk. I love canned goats milk. :)

Leanna

3. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

You might also try using freezer bags for freezing your milk. Either set it in a bowl to freeze or add a twist tie around the top, so you'll be able to set it in something to thaw in the fridge when you get ready to use it. And don't fill them full, or they'll also bust open.
    mary

4. mary,tx

Leanna, are you pressure canning or water bathing?
    mary

5. #1 DogMom

I am pressure canning. I was told that if you water bath can milk you run the risk of botulism. (?) Did I hear right?

6. mary,tx

oh, I don't know. I have read about doing it both ways, but chose water bathing because I had read that the quality was so much better. But since you like it pressure canned, I might try that. I am not bold enough, or sure enough of the method, to use my water-bathed milk on the table. I plan to use it solely for livestock.
    mary

7. #1 DogMom

Mary, the only thing undesirable about the pressure canning method that I can find is that it(the milk) turns brown. I love to use it in pretty much all of my baking and cooking and save the other milk for us to drink. In the fall and winter the milk is very scarse, if at all. Once it's pressure canned it will keep a long time. Hope you try it. I think you'll like it. :D

Leanna

8. mary,tx

Thanks, Leanna, I think that I will try some. How long do you pressure, and how many pounds? 10?
    thanks,
    mary

9. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

I have read that some people like to add a bit of bakeing soda to each jar, it bumps the ph just a little and gives better results, I'll go look for the news letter I got with that info in it.

edit: well I have looked for hours and not found it, so it must have been the one that got wet, bummers, isn't that how it goes?