Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Junkman
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went grocery shopping today and were surprised to find canned milk had raised 14 cents a can! Have cows gone on strike?

·
Registered
251 Posts
If they do they'll put a hurt'n on us right now. Read an article a few weeks ago about milk being more expensive than gas. Simply supply and demand - you need it and they know it. Applies to both gas & milk. The more the population increases the higher the prices will go.

There was a thread on sticker shock on here a few days ago. I had it my self today when we went to pick up a few spices for canning and I passed an end cap full of Vienna Sausages for .50 a can. Just a few weeks ago they were .25

A lot of these increases are sneaking under the radar, and people are going to really start to feel it in the pocket book. Slowly we're weaning ourselves off of this dependency and eating only what we raise & grow.

GR

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,691 Posts
And has been a stealth move - some items are the same price but the size/amount in the package is decreasing. I've noticed this with Granola Bars (note to self - time to make them!). What I dislike about the gradual decrease in size, is that it make meal planning more of a challenge. What used to feed/last x/x days no longer does.

·
Registered
826 Posts
If you have milking animals you can can a little at a time during the time of the year that their milk supply is heavy. hen you will have milk all year.

·
Chief Bottle Washer
556 Posts
Selena said:
And has been a stealth move - some items are the same price but the size/amount in the package is decreasing. I've noticed this with Granola Bars (note to self - time to make them!). What I dislike about the gradual decrease in size, is that it make meal planning more of a challenge. What used to feed/last x/x days no longer does.
Yes! We use tons of bleach for cleaning here on the dairy. Has anyone else noticed that bleach no longer comes in gallon sizes and is much more expensive?! ARGH! The way things are going they will probably do that with milk too!

·
Registered
10,845 Posts
Bleach: Home Depot has gallon jugs of "ultra" chlorox germicidal bleach that I believe is extra strength. Dilution strengths are on the back. I could be deluded though.

I've noticed that ingredients also change. I use Aunt Hatties Stone Ground Whole Wheat Bread. Last time it was Stone Ground Wheat Bread. Now it's not even on the shelf.

Also Costco's organic peanut butter has taken the peanut oil out and substituted "organic" palm oil! I wonder if I can make peanut butter in a coffee grinder.

I'm really getting tired of all this... :Bawling: :flame:

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
When folks want to use animal feed to fuel their cars, they may get a break on gas prices, but they'll pay more for their meat.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Milk prices have peaked and are on their way back down, from what I hear. As usual, milk prices are roller coastering. I just hope they don't go as low this next time.

Jennifer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts