Canned Goat milk

Discussion in 'Goats' started by southerngurl, Nov 9, 2004.

1. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Hi,
    I have only ever had goat milk from a can. I can't stand it, tastes like goat hair or something. How does "real" goat milk taste, say compared to cow milk?

I have heard that the bucks make it taste bad too?

2. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

Arkansas, has many nice dairygoat herds. I feel that you would enjoy fresh goatsmilk or even like it pasturized. There is a big difference in this milk and the one you buy in the store. :no: :no:

3. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

It depends some on the breed and then the individual goat. I have one that tastes sweet'rich like coffee creamer that reasturants have in the little bucket looking containers with the paper on top and one that was just like cows milk in flavor.

4. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

Sweat and creamy, at least thats what our herd puts out. Before we started milking but had pre-purchased some dairy goats we bought some goats milk from the health food store (carton, not canned), our hearts sunk thinking we had made a commitment to raise dairy goats and would hate the taste but fortunately it was just that it was store bought, which I have never heard anyone like it.

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Fresh vs canned bears a difference similar to french fries cooked in rancid oil and those cooked in fresh oil. Big difference from my limited experience.

6. geminigoats

geminigoats Well-Known Member

YUK...that canned goats milk is YUKKY tasting and smelling. i bought a can yrs ago when I needed to supplement milk for a new kid. I opened the can and thought, "Good Gosh, this smells like a buck!" I can't say too much as I would like to about canned goats milk these days. And yes...bucks with the does really make the milk taste just like the buck smells.

Try some fresh goats' milk and you'll be pleasantly surprised! There are lots of goat folks around you in Yellville.

Bernice

7. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

My milk tastes great . Everyone who is hesitant loves it. And NO bucks in with the girls does not change the taste. Maybe if you milk them without properly cleaning and washing the udder and teats it might .My bucks and does are together 24/7 and no customer has ever disliked it.
    Steff