Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was transplanting my canna to a bigger pot and I broke the top of the step and the top bloom. Im not sure if it will grow new blooms or if I've damaged the plant for good. Anyone know what i should do? Should i splice? Can i grow a new plant from the bloom?

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I don't think you can grow a new plant from the bloom, either, but also you haven't ruined your plant. Once it gets over the shock of repotting, it should grow more flowers, depending on how late it is in the season.

Canna lillies grow from rhizomes, so if you want more plants next time you repot that one divide it into several smaller plants.

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
Canna lillies grow from rhizomes, so if you want more plants next time you repot that one divide it into several smaller plants.
^^^^
This.....The rhizomes will grow smaller rhizomes. Break those off and replant to grow more Canna's.

·
Premium Member
9,245 Posts
They are originally swamp plants. I grew mine in water gardens, kids pools that I also planted wapatoes and water chestnuts in. The tubers are edible, and somewhat sweet. Unfortunately, I put off taste testing mine for 3-4 years. When I finally got around to it started to throiw me into anaphylatic shockk. Thank you whoever discovered benedryl. Anyway try making a water garden and move your canna into it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts