Canister vacuum cleaner recommendations?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Christina, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

Need to replace our Hoover canister. Normally I wouldn't ask here, but I can't find any reviews online...nothing to speak of at epinions.com, etc. Any recommendations for something under $200?
    Thanks.

2. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

Good luck even finding one! The Walmart stores around here don't them. We got a shop vac for our bare floors.

3. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

I've not had much luck with the cheap vacuums, most last a year or two and then give up, and it cost's more to have them worked on than it costs to replace them. I had an elextrolux for about 15 years, and when it broke, my DH gave it away before I could get it repaired, which probalby would have cost less than a new cheap vacuum. I've been using my shop vac for the past two years, but plan to get either a repaired Electrolux or Airway in the next year or two. My mom's Electrolux that she bought in the 50's still runs.

Besides my Electrolux, the other vacuum that I've had run the longest (about 5-7 years) was a Sears Cannister.

Dawn

4. via media

via media Tub-thumper

What will you be using it for? Bare floors, carpet, deep pile carpet, furniture?

I've got a little Magic Blue from Sears. It works great but we've got just bare floors with a couple of throw rugs. The attachments aren't so good at getting pet hair off furniture, though.

/VM

5. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Why not go back with a Hoover? I've seen their cannisters for less than $200. They brought back the Constellation, a design that's been around since the '60s, I think. Floats on air.

6. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

I'm reluctant to get a Hoover. They work decently, but things just tend to fall apart on them real quickly. I'm wondering if anybody has used an Emer Botticelli?
    We have a couple of oriental rugs and a very low pile rug, plus hardwood floors.

7. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I've got a Hoover cannister that I've owned since 1975. No problems, ever. Also have an old upright "convertible" that I've owned about the same amount of time, that we keep at the lake house. Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. Getting a little noisy (needs new motor bushings) but still does a decent job.