Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed on another thread that there sure are a lot of cancer survivors around here so, let's hear from you. Myself, Hodgkins disease, one recurrance. 15 years since last treatment. Anyone else?

Keith

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I was diagnosed in August '06 with breast cancer. Since I'm still in the initial 5 yr window and still having hormone treatment to prevent recurrence, I don't feel like a survivor yet. I hope to be one someday. Right now it seems like it's gone. I hope it stays that way.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Elffriend-you ARE a survivor!!!!!! You are a survivor from Day 1!
I was dx Oct.15 ,1997. Second look surgery Oct 15,1998. Had 9 IV treatments of chemo and 3 intraperitoneal treatments.

·
None of the Above
1,742 Posts
March this year will be 5 years.
Stage 3 Melanoma.

I miss my armpit.
Farting noises are easy now.
Don't even have to try.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
November 5, 2007. Hysterectomy for fibroids found rare uterine cancer. One in a million shot of having it and approximately 100 cases per year in the USA. No one knows how to treat it. Has a 50 to 65% recurance rate. So far just surgery and close monitoring. I understand the "not feeling like a survivor". I find myself waiting on the other shoe to drop. No "five years and you're cured" with this one. A life time of monitoring and praying. But, I am lucky. No treatments thus far.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I'm a 13 year survivor of breast cancer. I was only 34. It was a rare form of cancer that gets to a huge size without invading surrounding tissues, (medullary carcinoma) and I found it while it was still very, very small. I was lucky. I had bilateral mastectomies with saline implant reconstruction. No recurrances and no chemo/radiation. I thank God daily!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I was diagnosed in April/May of 2007 with breast cancer at age 36. I had mastectomy, chemo and radiation and my last treatment was January 2008. So I am almost 2 years from diagnosis and 1 year out of treatment! While I am a survivor, it's not over yet, with my diagnosis there is a 58% 5 year survival rate, after the 5 years my chances of recurrence is the same as anyone else so I'm looking to that 5 year mark!

·
Premium Member
7,173 Posts
Kidney cancer November 1983. Recurrance December 2006. Looking forward to another 23 years, cancer-free! ;->

Mon

·
Crazy Canuck
4,172 Posts
I was diagnosed with cancer of my palate in 1966 at the age of 10. I don't think chemo was even invented yet back then, so I had surgery after having 25 treatments of cobalt radiation, I do suffer from some "late effects" tho, but who cares! I've survived!
I wish each and every one of you a complete recovery....

·
Registered
95 Posts
DH told Feb 07 stage 4 in tonsil and lymphnode. After 5 chemo and near death by radiation , hospitalized in Aug. 07 and walked out 8 days later HEALED by the power of GOD. All scans neg. to this day. My God is an awesome God.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,295 Posts
My grandson, Cole, will be five in March, and he is a survivor of Neuroblastoma. Surgery, chemo, radiation, bone marrow transplant.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I was diagnosed with breast cancer - lobular carcinoma - in April 1996. I had bilateral mastectomies and implant reconstruction (a total of ten surgeries), hormone therapy, and chemo. I have regular oncology check-ups and cardiac evals because of potential heart damage from chemo, but so far, so good. No recurrences and it's been almost 13 years. Ironically and sadly, my original oncologist, a wonderful doctor and a lovely woman, just died from cancer.

·
Premium Member
42,702 Posts
I was officially diagnosed with throat cancer January 23rd 2004. Couple rounds of chemo and 6 weeks of radiation treatments seems to have cleared it out. Had my 5 year checkup last week and its all good. :)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
My DH is a Hodgkins disease survivor. 11 years, I believe. His oncologist told him he would end up with severe arthritis as a side effect of the chemo, and it's starting. Much better than the alternative, though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Diagnosed with stage 1 melanoma Thanksgiving 2008. The baby and I have been staying with my parents in TN while recovering from surgery. Going home to DH in FL tomorrow! That should be it once I finish up follow up with all the doctors! I have been very fortunate....looking forward to some day being 5-23 years cancer free like some of y'all!

·
Registered
659 Posts
I was diagnosed last valentines day with stage 2B Cervical cancer. Had 5 weeks of radiation, 6 weeks of chemo, 2 brachytherapy (sp?) implants. So far so good. Last PET scan in November showed no signs of cancer. I have a checkup today with one of my two Excellent doctors.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Had breast cancer in 2000. We found it early, had a lumpectomy, 6 weeks of radiation, and am still cancer free today. It should not be as scary today as it used to be..........it is NOT a death sentence. Prayers to all of you.........Marilyn

1 - 20 of 44 Posts