Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
God Smacked Jesus Freak
7,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted about a 10 year old standard poodle a month or so ago, who my hub gave glucosamine to and she started throwing up/diarea, etc. She got over that, but then she bloated up with fluid about 3 weeks ago now. SHe's been to the vet, had the fluid and blood analized, xrays, an ultrasound(all it saw was a few nodules on the liver which is common for older dogs). All that diagnostic stuff came out basically it could be some sort of cancer which makes her liver messed up(but which can't be seen with x-ray or ultrasound at this point), or Addison's. Today the vet finally told my husband she probably has about 10 days left. Which of course is very sad and hard to hear especially for my hubby since she is totally attached to him (and vice versa).

My question is, if indeed she has a few days left, with the excess fluid and (apparent?)liver shut down--is there a point where she'll be in a lot of pain? I'm kind of in a delicate place, of course hubby doesn't want to ask the vet that, but I don't want her to suffer either. We had a cat with bone cancer that we tried to let her die naturally, but she was just too feisty and a fighter--she broke the leg with the cancer and was dragging herself around and obviously in pain at the end(darn thing wouldn't stay put!), and we gave her a couple of sleeping pills...

I guess if you have any advice about the course of liver shut down/fluid retention. THe vet says her heart is not the problem, it's okay, yet of course the fluid will squish it.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
If enough fluid builds up in her abdomen to restrict her breathing, she won't be in pain, but she will be suffering. If her quality of life degrades to the point where she won't eat, drink, or interact with you she is suffering. Most animals (and people for that matter) would benefit from "help" at the end of their life in my opinion.

·
God Smacked Jesus Freak
7,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THanks Golden Mom

We took her to another vet today, and he concluded that it could be cancer(because of her age), but more likely it is Irritable(Inflamed?) Bowel SYndrome. He is keeping her overnight and giving her lasix(sp?) to help with the fluid.

He said her condition looked real good otherwise which is a good sign--even though she bit him ;0(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts