Canadian livestock auction

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Patty0315, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

I am near Kingston on the Us side. Does anyone know were there are any livestock auctions any were near by ? I am looking for horses. And does anyone know if the border is open to bring them back. I have been trying to get a draft but cant bear some of the prices. I lucked out before with good horses from auction so maybe my luck can hold out again. Tried pMU mares and not much luck yet. 1200.00 to rescue a mare sight unseen seems high to me. Thanks ` Patty

2. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'm too far away to offer suggestions on auction houses but there would be some. I do know that you can take horses across the border but call your government to make sure that you know what they require as far as health tests and any quarantine regulations. It's been a while since I moved horses out of Canada and the only thing I can actually remember was they needed a current coggins test and a vet to read documentation when the cross the border. It can't be all that hard because FoalQuest is shipping pmu colts and mares south quite frequently. Happy shopping, I'm sure that you'll find something that suits your needs. Heavy horses were selling at well over $5000 for a team but they're much closer to meat prices right now, or at least they are in Alberta.

3. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Horses last week sold for 22 cents a pound . I can get alot of horse for that ! I bought a reg paint mare for 240.00 last fall. Really nice horse with papers. Thanks for the reply.

4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

i was supposed to get some canadian cattle right before the mad cow thing ruined that deal. i bet horses are similar. check with your state vet for needed tests and certificates. the certificates have to come from an approved canadian vet....i forget what the designation was. you have to cross where they have a vet and livestock facilities, they told me to call ahead to be sure the us vet would be working the day i planned o9n coming through.

i also had to have a nafta thing filled out by the seller.

jena