Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I can boost your spirits some but I would have to say that consumer confidence in Canadian beef here never wained for a second. Our biggest problem was our export markets dried up instantly and the auction price of cattle plummeted. Its still not great, and anything over 30 months might make more effective fertilizer than a sale cow. The grocery stores never dropped thier price nor passed on added profit to the farmers so they are in my bad books. I hope what i heard in our local butcher shop is what you will here too, "Is that Canadian beef?" (OK so insert American beef) and the answer being yes, she promptly bought about $200 worth. But hey it's the thought that counts. If you can retail your beef or thought of trying to, now is a good time.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wr I did have to bite my toungue a bit, because she asked if it was "Western" beef............. as if the cattlemen in the east had it easy! Poor thing is a walking talking bulletin board for Alberta Angus, and proof ladies and gents that effective marketing works! (I always thought we should have kept our cows on the western side of the farm just so I could say yup it's western beef! ) Things shouldn't be as bad in the USA, you guys simply don't export as much beef per capita as we do, and you've had close to a years worth of our export markets to thin your inventory. (hopefully!)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.