Canada border-importing sheep question

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Can anybody tell me when and why sheep imports from Canada stopped and when it will likely open again?

I have a yearning for some African hair sheep that I've seen pictures of via email and website that are in Canada. <grin>

Shepmom
    not logged in

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Well it was stopped when the cow from Canada with BSE was found. That's more how the impotation was stopped not why. Varient BSE that can infect some humans may be similar to scrapie but it is very different. At the height of the BSE crisis in England sheep exportation was not halted. Testing since has defined the difference and while cattle can be injected with scrapie and get sick with a brain wasting disease sheep can not get BSE as far as I remember. Why is the border closed? Politics, plain and simple. There isn't even a health risk from Cattle anymore (if there ever was) It will open when the politics change, although no one I've talked to is thinking much before January and then it will be a vry slow process. PS I'm not suggesting Bush is the problem, but the election is. Still opening the border to sheep and goats would be a great first step as its no more risky than any other livestock trade.

3. shepmom

shepmom Well-Known Member

Thank you, Ross.

So, maybe sometime next year, hopefully.
    It'll give me time to save up some money.

4. kit

kit Well-Known Member

I'm not 100% sure getting the election over with will help any either. And, I heard on TV report that John Kerry has been quoted as saying he'll do what ever he can to keep it shut if elected. So, I wouldn't count on getting any breeding stock any time soon no matter what happens with the election. I don't know much about politics and really don't care to and maybe I'm just a pessimist - but, I think we are looking at years before things open again.