Can you take the warp out of a cast iron skillet?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Jun 8, 2005.

1. It's a chicken fryer and apparently must have gotten too hot some how and warped just a little bit. Just enough so that the lid will not fit on. It looks as if I could heat it back up some how and put a little pressure on one side it would straighten back up. But not sure how I would hold it or how much heat to make it go back in place. Any suggestions?

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

As far as I know, cast iron doesn't warp....it cracks. I've been known to throw my cast iron in a flaming hot campfire (>1000ºF) for over an hour just to clean it....it never warped. Are you sure that your fryer and its lid are cast iron? Did the lid used to fit?

3. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

would cooling at a uneven rate warp it?

All I can think of is to heat it up, it would expand and put the lid on, get them both really hot and let them cool together, and hope the lid doesn't get stuck on as the pan contracts.

4. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

5. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Hit him on the OTHER side of the head. :rolleyes:

6. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

Some of my cast iron has gotten warped using it on electric stoves, but only the bottoms, never the sides.

Putting them on a flat rock in the fire or keeping them on the woodstove usually flattens the bottom out again.

7. Well I'll wait till next winter and place it on my woodstove and see what happens. If nothing simple works then I guess I'll be shopping for a replacement. I think it got warped last winter while trying to heat the kitchen up with the range. My wife didn't realize it was inside and she left the heat on for several hours trying to get that end of the house warmed up. We sometimes run out of room to put up clean dishes, etc. and so we place some of the skillets and whatever inside the oven to get them out of the way.

8. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

I keep my cast iron inside an oven, no problems. I do it both electric or woodstove ovens.

Keep your eye out at yardsales, never know what goodies you'll find

9. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd sure like to know how to "unwarp" them if there is a way....I received 2 large Wagner pans from my Gram....both warped! thanks , Gram! They have been on the woodstove, electric stove and still warped. Sigh!