Can you start a new town in America?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

"Any one have an idea of how to do an unincorperated town?" That's easy. If you're the only family there, put up a sign naming the place beside the roads into the town. If quite a few families live there, have a meeting and reach a consensus for the name and then put the signs up.

You may need an encroachment permit from the highway department of you're going to put the signs on the state right of way.

2. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

Tom Monahan (the Domino pizza guy) is behind building Ave Maria, FL. The town is being built around the new university.

www.avemaria.com

3. ToraAnne

ToraAnne Well-Known Member

Carl's Corner, Tx is a new (last 20yrs) city. The man "Carl" is friends with Willie Nelson and they just had Willie's 4th of July Picnic there.

4. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Yeah there is a definite creepiness to the place. Sort of this outpost of weirdness and creepiness in a sea of normalcy. The places around there are your normal Midwest farming towns. Some light industry and ag related stuff. Just your good old fashioned Midwestern town and normal Midwestern folks. You can pick out any property the maharishis own. It has a weird eastern look to it. They remodel all of the houses so the doors open to a certain direction. They tore down some historic buildings because they gave off bad vibes. Really angered the locals. There is some definite friction between the cult and the locals from what I was told especially since the whole vedic city thing went down.

I met quite a few of the cultists and they were nice enough. As teenage boys we had our own interests and objectives of course. Let's just say that there were several of the maharishi girls that were quite amicable especially if you feigned interest in all things transcendental. I will always remember that it was in what is now vedic city that I encountered a female who didn't shave anything. Pits, legs, nothing. I was seriously creeped out but teenage boys being what they are, and my sense of loyalty being what it is, I jumped on the grenade for my friends as it were. I was most relieved to discover this wasn't prevalent thing even amongst the cultists.

Its worth a visit if one is ever in the area just for the freakshow aspect. That and Fairfield and the surrounding area are just nice places to visit in general despite the cult outpost in their midst.

5. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

I remember a few years ago, Kim Basinger (the actress) supposedly bought Athens, Georgia....(don't ask me why...guess she just wanted "her own town".....?)

:shrug:

6. Amello

Amello Member

The benevolent streak in me got to thinking about starting a new town based almost solely on building very inexpensive housing for just about anyone who is homeless, on the brink of poverty and so forth to combat the super rising cost of real estate and rents.
    I'm pretty sure I'd have to hit the lottery to get this off the ground and I'm not holding my breath on that and all these people would need some jobs other than building houses so some type of business has to become part of the town that isn't the lone voice in how things run. Politicians being politicians everywhere they usually become beholden to the money.. A company town where the company is owned by the town? It's tough finding two people who agree on the price of bubblegum much less how to run a town or a business.. I have almost zero organizational skills so I guess my fantasies of starting this dream town die with my lack of the above mentioned skills. On the other hand I'm organized enough to build chairs from 2x8s.. I'm not utterly inept.

7. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Many homeless people do not want to live in a place where there are rules. Many have mental illness issues. They choose to live where they are. Unless the courts mandate where they live, you cannot make them live someplace. Studies have been done where homeless have been set up in apartments and within a few months are back on the streets.
    No, I am not talking about the minority that have lost a job and this is a temporary situation.

There's a few closed army bases that could be used to house homeless. Move them all there - kitchens, bathing facilities, housing, etc. are already there. Have those that work with the homeless go to the base. Sure would be simpler.

hunter63 likes this.
  8. AmericanStand

AmericanStand Well-Known Member

I've thought about opening a town for truck drivers. , big parking spaces and laws in a truckers favor.

hunter63 likes this.
  9. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

10. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I have driven through a few "Unincorporated town - no services". They were a cluster of a few houses with a sign with the name of the town on it. They were not on th map because they were unincorporated.

You could probably do the same if the neighbors agreed.

11. AmericanStand

AmericanStand Well-Known Member

Seems like I looked it up a few years ago and you had to have 20 voters within a mile vote to incorporate as a town.
    Well in this state.

12. SRSLADE

SRSLADE Well-Known Member

Did'nt Ted Turner buy an entire county?

fordy likes this.
  13. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.........he didn't need to buy a town , he bought Jane Fonda ! , fordy

14. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

What town is that?

15. Yvonne's hubby

Yvonne's hubby Murphy was an optimist ;) Staff Member

westfall??

16. brosil

brosil Well-Known Member Supporter

Levis Commons in or near Perrysburg, Ohio. Build a downtown with the same stores as a mall and build offices and condos/apartments around it. Wallah! Instant town and creepy as Hell.

17. Nature Man

Nature Man Well-Known Member

Just Google "small towns for sale" very interesting

18. Southern Forest

Southern Forest Active Member

Not far from me they attempted to incorporate a community named Belleview. The idea was to avoid the encroachment of Hattiesburg, MS, into the rural area by incorporating their own town. It came up for a vote and I believe it failed as the folks didn't want their taxes to go up. The real problem with such sprawl is that the spreading cities only reach out to those areas that have high taxable incomes, ignoring those areas that do not, and as such end up looking like octopi.

19. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

The concept of incorporating new towns has pretty much been replaced by HOAs. Same principle that you get to make local regulations but are not regulated as much by the state or federal regulations in how you govern. But then state/Federal grants and funding is not available either.