Can you please share some photos of your piggy palace?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by savinggrace, Jul 2, 2006.

1. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

Hi,

My husband and I will be working on our pig pen next week, and I could really use photo suggestions of how you have yours set up!

Particularly wallowing areas, shelter, and fencing methods.

Thank you,

Melissa

2. countrygurl

countrygurl Well-Known Member

bobwire with electric fence willll be your best bet, my 3 sows & boar made there on wallow hole (2). we have about 2 1/2 acres with plenty of pine tress so it pretty shaddy we have a A frame hut for the sows to farrow in

we use a blue plastic barrle cut in half for their water and another barrel cut in half long ways with 2x4 on each end for their feed

3. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

I have 2 strands of electric tape, works great. The same plastic barrel for water with pig nipples--that is SO much better than carrying jugs of water! Rubber food bowls, indestructable. A sprinkler next to the fence, but they prefer being hosed down so I do that on hot days and fill their sleep holes with water. They're near trees so that they get some shade all day, but not so near that they'd damage the roots.

4. highlands

highlands Well-Known Member

Melissa,

Visit http://SugarMtnFarm.com/blog where I have lots of photos in various posts about our pigs. We keep them on pasture, no barns, some dug into the hill dens and an open pole shed. Pretty simple. Electric wire, running water, hay in the winter.

Cheers,

-Walter
    Sugar Mtn Farm