Can you name something that is not taxed?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Dec 6, 2004.

1. I can only think of a couple of things. Here in Oklahoma you don't have to pay taxes on a service, such as if you have someone to work on your car you don't have to pay taxes on the labor. But you do on any new parts they install. When I had my little deer processing business I didn't have to charge any tax on the processing service. They paid a flat rate quoted. But I had to pay taxes on the money I earned.

I don't have to pay taxes on any game animal or fish I harvest which makes cheaper eating. But, I have to pay taxes on any weapon or ammo I purchase. Unless I make my own stick bow and wooden arrows or noodle by hand. (yikes, snapping turtle!)

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Depends I supposed by what you mean by taxed, directly or indirectly?

3. deedler

deedler Well-Known Member

In TX (at least in the grocery store) you don't pay taxes on food
    items that have to be prepared...milk,bread,cake mix,soup,etc.
    Cokes,ice cream,and candy are taxable.

4. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Ky has no sales tax on food.But i live in TN where they get you comeing, going, and eating. :(

5. babetteq

babetteq Well-Known Member

love, faith, honour, integrity, compassion

oh, you mean concrete stufff?

heritage seeds that you've bartered for with someone who saved them from their grea great great gramma's garden.

the compost you make with the leftovers of the vegies you grew with the seeds from your great great great gramma's garden.

cowpatties from your neighbours feild to put into the garden that grows the vegies you grew from the seeds from your great great great gramma's garden

water you collected in rainbarrels to boil the vegies you grew from the seeds from your great great great gramma's garden.......

babs

6. CarlaWVgal

CarlaWVgal Well-Known Member

I really can't complain because our property taxes are so low, but I hate the "hidden" taxes, like having to purchase a dog tag from the county. Why can't they just come out and say "We are going to tax you for this" not call it a fee? This is a pet peeve of mine. Basically everything in WV is taxed, they only thing I can think that isn't is my cats and chickens.

Carla

7. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

Here in west TN they tax everything except air and lottery tickets!

8. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

internet purchases in some states
    I bought a tractor for $4k, saved half of the cost to ship it
    hunted local for quite awhile

9. Jo in PA

Jo in PA Well-Known Member

We don't pay taxes on food or clothing (except any clothing used for a sport) and some non-food items like soap powder, windex and floor cleaners.

10. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

In today's society EVERYTHING is taxed one way or another. Take clothes for instance. Let's buy a snazzy new shirt. (It probably is made in China, India or Pakistan but for the sake of discussion let's suppose it is made in the US)

You buy a shirt which the government in their benevolence has decreed to be free of taxation for "working families".

The folks that make the raw materials for the cloth and thread pass their taxes along to the fabric and thread manufacturer.

The folks that make the fabric and thread pass on their taxes to the shirt manufacturer.

The shirt manufacturer has to pay taxes and they get passed along to the wholesaler.

The wholesaler passes his taxes along to the retailer.

The retailer passes his taxes on to you.

The shirt is hardly tax free when you buy it. You are paying a tax one way or another.

I'm having a hard time thinking of anything that isn't taxed one way or another these days.

As a side note, if it were up to me I would repeal the 16th amendment to the constitution. And abolish the federal reserve system, abolish dual citizenship and a bunch of other things that would be sure to get me shot.

11. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I hate to remind people of this, but there is a tax for hunting and fishing on public lands, unless the license is free in your state. I know in Virginia, everybody has to pay $12.00 each for the basic license, deer/bear/turkey license, Muzzleloader license and bow license. That is if you are a state resident. If you are out of state, it costs $80.00 for the basic license, $60.00 for deer/bear/turkey, and $25.00 each for bow and muzzleloader. Fishing licenses are $12.00 each, plus an additional $12.00 for fishing in stocked waters for VA residents. Out of state, it's $30.00 each. Now, if you are hunting or fishing on your own property, you don't need a license

As for what is tax free free, there is the water out of my well, the food out of my garden, and the air that I breathe. I even have to pay a library tax, since my county library isn't worth a going to, and the nearest decent library charges for out of town residents.

12. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

They've made noises about taxing the water out of wells here! The air was taxed in Denver when I was there - for clean air "initiatives". And the land you grow the food on is taxed, the seeds are taxed. :eek:

13. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

So far Daydreaming isn't taxed! though it is taxing on the brain.

14. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

here in michigan, you pay taves on just about everything, and then you pay again. this state is tax crazy. so directly or indirectly, you pay taxes on everything. and some things you pay a double and triple tax, like cigerettes and gas. really high taxes on those to things. most things in this state are taxed to the max.

15. DreamingBig

DreamingBig Well-Known Member

Really?! Wow. Well, I recently discovered that any CA resident can get a card at any CA state university library and check out books for free. And I was in a little NM town recently with a teeny little library but you could mail order books from the state-wide system for free. Maybe your state has something like that too. :)

16. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

In Illinois you can give your vehicle to a family member tax free.

17. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

When we sell our house in BC, 100% of the capital gain is tax free.

However, in BC and Canada the mortgage interest is NOT deductible when you pay it each year, no matter what you make. Well there are ways to get tricky and make it deductible. But that will only work if, if, if ...

Alex

18. brightcopperket

brightcopperket New Member

Yes, I can name something that is not taxed: My husband's pension. He is a Seattle firefighter who retired on disability, and his pension is exempt from any taxes--state or federal (well, WA does not have state income tax).

19. Yankee1

Yankee1 Well-Known Member

American Flags

20. jack_c-ville

jack_c-ville Well-Known Member

Most of those exceptions will be gone if the nutcases in DC go through with this plan to replace income tax with a national sales tax on everything. Their math that gets them to the 23% rate includes taxes on otherwise free veterans health care, church services, groceries and literally everything else that you ever buy.

They will also be applying the sales tax to purchases that the government makes, which accounts for about 1/3 of all the projected revenue. I'm still trying to figure out how that isn't a shell game...

If you sort out those types of items and made them exempt then the rate would go up to about 60%. Still applying to housing, clothing, gas, electricity, health care and the other basic necessities of life. I'm pretty sure that a great many (if not most) of the people on this board, as homesteaders and DIYers are making little enough income that they aren't even paying federal income tax. Get ready to fork over half of your income if this plan goes into effect. Good luck with not becoming homeless.