Can you make this by converting a grill?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Marsh, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Marsh

Marsh Well-Known Member

Ok call me crazy!! It's ok really. I already know I am, everyone says so :shrug:

We got a new gas grill and I hate to waste the old one.

We have a old gas grill its black inside and out. It has the small long glass window across the front. Is there any way you can make it into a solar oven? Yeah I know it's a wild idea and maybe not possible. But hey I figured I would ask the most resourceful people I know if they have suggestions. And I also knew you all wouldn't laugh at me for thinking such a strange thing. Or at least you all won't laugh so as I can hear you :)

2. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

Down in Self Reliance forum, I have put a stickey'd thread of links, and one is about solar ovens. You may be able to get some ideas from their directions on how to build various solar ovens.

Angie

3. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

I don't know about solar, but we converted an old one into a charcoal
    burning table top "hibachi" by adding a bottom and some wooden feet. It even looks nice.

We save the real charcoal that sometimes lingers in the woodstove, and use that for cooking. Quick fires, and the flavor is the best...

4. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Or maybey you could convert it to a small trash burner instead. Here we have burning bans during which you can only use your grill....doesn't say you have to make dinner with it!

5. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

That's a great idea Marsh! If you can figure out how to turn it into a solar oven..please pass it on. I've about 3 old grills just sitting behind the barn doing nothing useful. I also know that a lot of people have old grills..because you see them all the time at the curb during the annual junk pickup that several communities around here have in the spring.

I do know that some people make flower containers out of them.