Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
We had never seen a tree like thatl a few years ago one came up on it's own. It grew very fast for a tree. An old timer called it a Whistle Tree, don't have a clue why. We finally cut it down because it was just making too much shade for my other plants. It was 30+ ft. high the first year! The main stalk had a soft center and when it dried out it was hollow. We burnt some in the fireplace, it burnt hot and very quickly.

i agree with kitaye, cockleburr. if it gets small flowers like a sun flower ,nuke the plant with what ever it takes, then burn the remainder!! saw a farm infested after they had seen a couple of plants the year before ,took lots of herbicide to clean the field :grump:

I would bet heavily on Paulownia. The leaves are VERY large on the small plants, as the tree gets established they become smaller. The wood has some value, even though it is very light and not strong at all, it is used for carving quite a bit. The japanese make "hope" chests for their daughters using the wood from it. The flowers are large and showy and smell good OUTSIDE. If you bring them inside they will perfume the whole house and the sweet scent is cloying in a confined space. (this from unfortunate personal experience)

Wildcrofthollow said:
I would bet heavily on Paulownia. The leaves are VERY large on the small plants, as the tree gets established they become smaller. ...
Ah... that's why they are bigger in Nancy's pic. I had reservations because those leaves in the second of her pics are just huge.

Wildcrofthollow said:
I would bet heavily on Paulownia. The leaves are VERY large on the small plants, as the tree gets established they become smaller. The wood has some value, even though it is very light and not strong at all, it is used for carving quite a bit. The japanese make "hope" chests for their daughters using the wood from it. The flowers are large and showy and smell good OUTSIDE. If you bring them inside they will perfume the whole house and the sweet scent is cloying in a confined space. (this from unfortunate personal experience)
I agree we have these all over the place.The flowers are purple and smell really sweet.They grow big fast.They are a messy tree..Break easily in bad weather.have seed pods and twigs that are all over the place and reseed readily.Princess tree is what we always called it but it is Paulownia.

What you have is a Catalpa tree. I have one in my yard. They grow extremely fast if they have plenty of water. I planted mine around five years ago and it is now close to 30 ft. Tall. They have beautiful white flowers in spring. Long seed beans develope through the summer. I also have cockelbur and have raised castor beans. Cockleburs have dark veins and fuzzy feeling leaves. Castorbeans have ridges that stand out on the leaf like Okra. Your picture is of neither. Your leaf is not serrerated like the other tree leaf posted. I will try to get pictures of Catalpa and cockelburs posted tomorrow.

I am no longer positive it is a catalpa, but deffinatly not cocklburr. I was unable to post the pictures here. If you want a picture of cocklburr, PM me with an address to email them to.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.