Can you have small breeds and large breeds together?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milking Mom, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I was just wondering for those of you who have different breeds...Can you have large breeds like Nubians or Alpines running in the same pen or pasture with like Nigerian Dwarfs? Would it be unsafe for the small ones or do the bigger ones just take it in stride. I know my Alpine girls can get rather pushy with each other.

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I have Pygmies with my Nubians. The little goats are usually the bossy ones here. :D

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Alpines don't even like each other :rolleyes: It's really going to be on the temperment of your herd boss, remember BR's TicTac, she was her herdboss Alpine that Skip showed all the time, and she smashed does around so much they have abortions! So as long as Cher or someone else is a nice (well for an Alpine) herdboss it will work fine, but I would bet it won't. Vicki

4. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

I have Nigerians, Mini-LaMancha and LaManchas together but they all have great temperments. have heard but no experience that Alpines are not as easy going as the LaMancha's.

5. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Our goats range in size from a very tiny pygmy doeling to a half Nubian, half LaMancha doe...of course our half Boer buck is now bigger than Danielle...anyways, we have always had goats of various sizes and breeds together. Some with horns (three of them) and most without. When they are in the barn for kidding and smaller spaces I have to seperate out a couple or they will pick on the other animals.

6. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

Now I won't say that I don't have some bossy Alpines, but hands down the meanest darn goat I ever had was a LaMancha. She intimidated my poor Alpine babies something terrible and was half their size <g>

Interestingly enough, even though my does never see their kids, my herd queen's daughter is the boss of her young herd as well.

But my Alpines would looooveeee to have some little goats (for target practice, lol) They aren't nearly as bad out in the pasture, but penned in the barns like they are this time of year, tempers sure flare!

Tracy

7. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I did ok with pygmy doe and nubians running together until my pygmy which was bred when I got her had a buck kid. At less than three months old this wild child was jumping up and trying to breed his mom and all my reg. nubian does. Sorry to say, the pygmies could not stay :no: :no: :no: .

8. Hi,
    We no longer have Nigerian Dwarves, but we did raise them for 5-6 years. They always lived right in with our Alpines, and were raised exactly the same. We never had a prblem. A nine year old ND was top doe until her death. Our Alpines very rarely fight.
    The only exception I guess is bucks, they used the same large pasture but were penned separately at night year round and full time during the rut.
    Becky

9. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES