Can you grow fresh herbs all year round??

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by NewYorkRebel, Jan 18, 2011.

1. NewYorkRebel

NewYorkRebel Member

Just wondering is it possible to grow fresh herbs all year round inside?? If so do you need special lights or heat lamps??

2. lhspirited

lhspirited Well-Known Member

I grow basil under plant lights on my plant stand. And I grow rosemary next to the window. They both like warm temperatures.

I haven't tried any others, but the perennials that grow outside in my herb garden survive my zone 5 (minus 20 F) temperatures, so I figure they won't like the warm inside night temperatures.

I just posted these herb ideas on my website, if you're interested...

http://www.growgreatvegetables.com/greatfood/herbs.html

3. Halfway

Halfway Well-Known Member

I grow herbs under lights. I keep a running video/photo journal blog. See the link below.

Starting up another round as we speak!!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  4. olivehill

olivehill Well-Known Member Supporter

I keep a few annuals inside in the winter on a rotational basis. Just enough for my use, not enough for sales. And I just keep them on a south facing windowsill in my kitchen, no lights. They do tend to get leggy, but they're usable and not too bad. Right now I have basil and cilantro.

5. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

The only herb outside that has lived for me is Rosemary...it surprises me, and keeps on growing.....mine is in the top of my strawberry barrel...I have some mint plants I am trying to save inside, but they do not look too good.

6. laughaha

laughaha Well-Known Member

You can grow almost anything inside with grow lights. Right now I have two roma's in my pantry (under growlights and in a southfacing window). Do I get alot of tomatoes? No, but the ones I get are SOOOO much better tasting and cheaper than store bought.

7. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

Heck, I can't stop mint from growing outdoors year round -- it slows down but never dies. We're stll picking cilantro and lettuse even though we've had some snow and a couple of freezes.

Anyway, yes, I've grown a number of herbs indoors when I lived up north.

8. mommagoose_99

mommagoose_99 Well-Known Member

I planted 1/2 tray of cilantro and half tray of basil yesterday in my dining room. I will keep you posted.
    LInda

9. NorthCountryWd

NorthCountryWd Well-Known Member

Wife grows basil, cilantro, oregano, thyme and rosemary in a south facing window, no lights. They don't look all that pretty and don't taste as good or grow a fraction of what they do in summer, but it's way better than paying for fresh at the store.

10. Halfway

Halfway Well-Known Member

The addition of a cheap CFL would possibly double the growth if needed.

I agree on the cost savings. :nanner:

11. dancingfatcat

dancingfatcat Well-Known Member

Well, I have Catnip, Lavender, Rosemary, Sage,Thyme, Cilantro and Caraway still going and growing strong, even with our surprise snow storm and now 80 degree temps! I grew them from seed directly into the ground last fall and they are about a foot tall now. The Cilantro and Caraway took about 6 weeks to germinate but once they started they didn't stop :D The frost got my purple basil and oregano :(. At some point I hope to have my entire herb garden full!