can you give a kid milk replacer w/o giving them colostrum?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by russellsmom, Jan 18, 2005.

1. russellsmom

russellsmom Well-Known Member

Now I have another issue. Two other does decided to kid last night and they both had triplets. The one mother is an excellent mother and is taking care of the two surviving ones (one was born dead). The other had kids last year, but both hers were born with the sac on when I was not around and both died so she has no mothering experience. Now last night all three of hers were fine but she kept laying down on top of her kid. I realize three is a lot to keep track of, especially for one who has never had kids before. The one did not make it through the night. If she was being mean to the kids I'd take them away. She's very attentive, just about washes the living daylights out of them, but I am not sure they're getting anything to drink. She's acting very flinchy in that general area, I kept seeing her move away from them when they'd try to head in for a drink. I tried holding her and she just sat on her butt like a dog. The babies still tried to drink, but it was a very odd position and I just don't know that they got anything from her. I also don't know that they didn't. I know I just can't fool around here, they've got to get something in their tummies.
    In a way I think it was sometimes easier when my parents raised dairy goats. The kids were immediately separated and given the colostrum that was milked out before being put on replacer. But here I'd like to have the mother and kids stay together so I don't want to mess things up by interfering when I might not be needed.

2. 1farmgirl

1farmgirl Well-Known Member

Put the doe on a stanchion with some feed then hold each baby one at a time(I hold them right behind the head with my thumb and first finger) to a teat. I start squirting it gently and it gets all over their mouth. This is very messy. Usually they start opening their mouth to holler because they don't like hanging there and being squirted. When that happens, I pop the teat inside their mouth. Don't know if they get much, but they get a general idea and it seems that it turns on the mothering thing in the moms. I just repeat as needed if I don't think they are getting any milk. Your doe may be acting flinchy because she's probably pretty full. You may have to milk out some so it doesn't hurt her so much. Colostrum is great to have it the freezer for emergencies. My first and favorite doe had her first baby born dead when it was born backwards and I was a newbie (didn't know anything and didn't have this forum). The next time, she had twins. She was a bit confused and overwhelmed but took to motherhood like a duck to water once she figured it out. Now she's a great mom. I can even get her to adopt if I really need to.

Kathy

3. russellsmom

russellsmom Well-Known Member

This is a pygmy. I don't have stanchions or I'd try putting her on one. The babies know exactly what they are doing. When I was able to try and get them to nurse they knew their part. The worst part is these little pygmies don't have much of a teat to even grab onto. I did try to squirt some colostrum out just to see if she had any, but I wasn't successful. And so now I don't know if she even has milk or if she just wasn't letting her milk down for me. Keep in mind I also don't want to give her a bad case of mastistis by mishandling her either so I was trying to be very gentle.
    For now I'll just keep trying to help the kids nurse and hope that they do get some colostrum when I'm there anyway.

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

The teats are plugged during the dry period, some kids are not strong enough to suck hard enough to dislodge this, it's best in all breeds of goats to squirt a stream from each teat. There is also CAE which causes large udders that appear to have milk that have none, just a cement block of edema. Without colostrum (and not the made up egg yolk or replacements sold in most stores that have no IGg immunity available, most goatlings will die. Vicki

5. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Yep Vicki is right!! Milk that mom out and get the colostrum into those kids ASAP. TRY flicking the oriface with your finger nail to make sure the plug is out.
    get some one to help you and hold her so the babies can suck in a normal posistion if not then bottle feed them but they have to have that colostrum.
    I did succeed in saving one with no colostrum but was always on the whimpy side, getting colds and pneumonia alot. I never never use replacers as too many horror stories with their use. I use VIT D milk from the grocery store.
    If you go this way then give the babies CD ANTITOXIN right away and hope for the best.