Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have what's probably a stupid questions I am wanting to sell baby chickens and baby quail if someone gets sick from handleing them or in some other way I know poultry carries salmonella in them and if they do get sick do you get sued or just issue a refund

·
Premium Member
25,198 Posts
I used to sell baby ducks. Cash only, no refunds. Never had anyone claim one died on them within the first couple days.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do it every spring. If people are so stupid that they are licking baby chicks and then not washing their hands well so be it.

Lol I live near dallas and I think the chickens are smarter than some people lol the only thing I was worried about is cdc showing up or something like that. My friend is the one that said that

·
Premium Member
25,198 Posts
Misread, the people getting sick, not the birds. Oops. sorry.

Anyway, it's not like you're selling them at a yard sale or lemonade stand where little kids can play with baby birds and then go off and lick their fingers. If the adults are too dumb to know that you need to wash your hands after handling poultry that's their problem. Of course you could do like some stores and post the risk of salmonella and caution that hands MUST be washed or sanitized after handling birds.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Misread, the people getting sick, not the birds. Oops. sorry.

Anyway, it's not like you're selling them at a yard sale or lemonade stand where little kids can play with baby birds and then go off and lick their fingers. If the adults are too dumb to know that you need to wash your hands after handling poultry that's their problem. Of course you could do like some stores and post the risk of salmonella and caution that hands MUST be washed or sanitized after handling birds.

I think when they get bigger I will breed i just don't wanna get sued

·
Premium Member
25,198 Posts
The best advice I can offer is to check with your state dept of agriculture and see what they say about the laws and regulations regarding the sale of poultry. In Ohio it's pretty much buyer beware and a posting about the risk is the standard. Oh, and stores won't allow children to handle animals. TSC and Rural King have their chicks fenced off so people can't touch them. I think it was more for the safety of the birds though.

·
Born in the wrong Century
5,439 Posts
In this Day and age you risk a Law Suit doing darn near anything, for that matter doing nothing even.

They could claim a slip and fall when picking up chicks,you could very well not be selling chicks and be in Bed and someone show up announced or just claim it.

Its how the Lawyers and Judges like it keeps them in money.

As long as your maintaining a clean operation, and do due diligence when dealing with people.

Don't think you would have much to worry about.

If it where food stuffs, be a little different.

With live birds Salmonella would be not much of a issue other poultry diseases would.

Only way the CDC would get involved was if it was a huge outbreak.

More then Likely a visit from a AG inspector or Health Department.

Due Diligence would be first as said run your Operation to or better then standards, second evaluating if this is someone I want to do Business with. third would be to disclose any and all potential issues and remedies.

To go a step farther you could get NPIP certified.

Though it always pertinent to due your due diligence in researching laws, do not rely on answers from others.

10 people ,10 different answer on how they Interpret the law and often based on not knowing all the Laws.

You need to remember we have laws at all different levels. Village/Town,Township,County,State,Fed as well as at each level more then one Agency or Department making Rules and enforcing them.

As a Example if memory serves correct, here and a few other places you must sell at least 6 chicks together, another Law states that you can not sell colored(dyed) chicks or Rabbits...

The Biggest concern I have is The AR nuts and their Affiliated Agencies and Organizations.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Lol I live near dallas and I think the chickens are smarter than some people lol the only thing I was worried about is cdc showing up or something like that. My friend is the one that said that
I am west of DFW. Lots and lots of people sell chicks around here. The only thing I would do if it were me, I would make sure and tell your buyers to wash their hands after handling the chicks. Then they can't come back and say they never knew.

Whereabouts are you?

·
Goshen Farm
7,272 Posts
Think about it...a gal can get into trouble while sitting on the sofa watching television! I once got in trouble for stopping too long at a stop sign while driving a police vehicle. Everything is possible but most are not probable.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am west of DFW. Lots and lots of people sell chicks around here. The only thing I would do if it were me, I would make sure and tell your buyers to wash their hands after handling the chicks. Then they can't come back and say they never knew.

Whereabouts are you?

Burleson

1 - 12 of 12 Posts