can you get dial-up w/out paying for phone service?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by manfred, Sep 7, 2006.

1. manfred

manfred Well-Known Member

I have a friend in another city telling me he can get a dial tone for his internet connection without paying for a telephone line.,
    Now I don't even remember what my phone no. is but am told by the phone company that I must have phone service in order to have internet service. Costing me about $50 per month for very poor internet connection.
    How about you>

2. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    And just what was your friend smoking this morning? :rolleyes: I suppose strictly speaking you can get a phone line for your puter and not use it for phoning out in the conventional sense, but you still have a phone number and service. They are gonna charge him one way or the other.

3. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Last time I checked Georgia was the only state where you could get dial-up or dsl without paying for phone service, and that was only because someone sued ma bell and won. I think other lawsuits were in the works at the time.

4. terrythetaod

terrythetaod Well-Known Member

I think Paula is correct about GA. The catch is: you pay MORE for the DSL without phone service than for the same DSL connection WITH phone service.

5. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

sure you can pay for the dial up sevice, but without a phone line you cant use it, and Ive never heard of a phone cpmany offering internet services without charging you for phone service

6. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

It's true about Georgia. When you subscribe to DSL they ask you "Is this also going to be a voice line?" I believe we had the choice of no voice service (which means it will carry data but if voice is detected it doesn't work) or you can have pay-per-call voice service (very expensive per call) or you can get regular voice service (which we had). I could be wrong, it was quite a few years ago that we established our service there.

I'm pretty sure in WV you get the voice line and add DSL onto your service, just like you'd add long distance carrier service.

7. harrisjnet

harrisjnet Okie with Attitude

There are some phone companies who offer internet connection. It may be that your friend has this kind of company in his area and they offer their internet service without telephone service. That would be the only way that I know of.

8. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

If you don't need a land line, consider satellite service.

I have it here, where I only have cell coverage, and love it.

Just an option to look into - don't assume it'll cost more, it's about on par with internet cable here, which is admittedly more than dial up, but if you added in the cost of maintaining a land line for the phone, it comes out about the same.

9. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I have heard bad things about Directway (Now Hughes), but I cannot get Wild Blue because their "beam" is full for my geographical location. Go figure. Otherwise, I'd be getting satellite in a heartbeat.

donsgal

10. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

When AOL offered free services to those coming into it from other than one of their servers I looked into it. With at least Bell South I would pay more to obtain DSL from them then to use a local AOL server. With none fiber optic cable dail-up I routine access at 44K and, at times, it seems faster than that. Thus, for now, will keep AOL dial-up.

Dial-up really seems to depend on location. I have friends in SW Indiana who finally gave up on it due to such poor speed. They have to go elsewhere for access.