Can you freeze tobacco?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Junkman, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Junkman

Junkman Junkman

Since DH smokes, and will probably always do... and sometimes will roll his own, can I purchase bags of smoking tobacco and freeze them? I cannot imagine life with him and not being able to get his smokes... If not freeze, is there anyway to keep it fresh? :help:

2. Taffy

Taffy Member

Yes, you can freeze tobacco. I vacuum seal mine and double bag it before freezing. We buy it in 16 oz bags, additive free. The additive free goes bad quickly and the tobacco shop advised it.

3. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Yes, you can freeze tobacco. In my part of the world it is illegal either to grow it or to buy or sell it in bulk form, and certainly illegal to store large quantities of it, unless you are an approved and licensed grower for the commercial market. Make sure you aren't breaking the law where you are.

4. beorning

beorning Well-Known Member

I store cigarettes in the freezer all of the time. I occasionally find a good sale on cartons and stock up. Freezing them keeps them from getting stale while sitting for several months. I think six months is the longest I've kept them, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to keep them longer.