Can you Freeze Kolorabi?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by newatthis, Aug 5, 2006.

1. newatthis

newatthis Well-Known Member

newathis here wondering if and how to freeze Kolorabi. We have a small garden. Most of the things we just eat as we pick'em. But the Kolorabi, Tomatoes and Pumpkins seem to be multiplying.

Last year I made a bunch of tomatoe things for the freezer but can I just put Kolorabi in a freezer bag and freeze?

signed a confused newatthis :help:

2. tillandsia

tillandsia Well-Known Member

I have never actually preserved kohlrabi, but it is the same species (Brassica oleracea) as cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage. So I'm sure you could freeze or pickle it. Google "preserve kohlrabi". (Note correct spelling.)

3. newatthis

thanks, will do.

4. chicken

chicken Well-Known Member

Yes, my Ball canning book says you can freeze them. Wash, slice into 1/4 inch slices, and blanch for 2 minutes. Cool, drain, and pack in bags or whatever you use to freeze your produce. Sounds easy enough. I have never tried it but plan on doing some myself this year.

5. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

My dog likes it frozen, but we don't. You might try shreading it and useing it to make the freezer cole slaw thats in the Blue Book. That is pretty good.

6. newatthis

thanks everyone. I googled it as tillandsia said and it said you can blanch it whole for 3 min. then package.
    Another new way for you all.

Thanks for the help though

7. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

make sure you use some of the nice leaves and chop them fine, I also add a carrot, then freeze it together. have done that for years.

8. newatthis

what do you do with the leaves? :confused: