Can you freeze brick cheese?

Discussion in 'Preserving the Harvest' started by Parttimefarmer, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Parttimefarmer

Parttimefarmer Well-Known Member

If so, is it still of the same texture when it thaws, or cooking only?

2. Horseyrider

Horseyrider Well-Known Member

I freeze cheese all the time; many kinds. The best way to get it sliceable after freezing is to thaw it in the fridge. You still might get some breaking at the curd line, but it works pretty darn well.

Texture is fine; it grates well too.

3. Leister Square

Leister Square Well-Known Member

I do it all the time. Just a little crumbly when grating, I found. But still, when it's on sale, go for it!

4. siletz

siletz Well-Known Member

I have frozen cheese, but have found that it is more crumbly than unfrozen cheese. Still good for cooking, etc with no flavor difference, just harder to slice a thin slice from it. Frozen cheese is better than no cheese, though!

5. Parttimefarmer

Parttimefarmer Well-Known Member

I use it only for cooking, so crumbly is a perk! It's on sale this week, I get to stock-up now!!! :D

6. PlicketyCat

PlicketyCat Well-Known Member

I stock up when the bulk stores have 5lb bricks of cheese on sale. We don't have a refrigerator, so a lot of my more perishable dairy items live in the freezer. The softer cheeses get more crumbly than the harder cheeses in my experience, monterey jack gets almost as crumbly as feta but it's hardly noticeable with aged cheddar. There are some minor textural differences, it is harder to slice and melts a little oddly... it's difficult to explain, but sauces I make with frozen cheese can feel a little grainy or lumpy, and grilled cheese sandwiches are more solid and less gooey. It's still great though... it's hard to go wrong with cheese!

Now, if you get pre-sliced american or other sliced deli cheeses, I'll warn you that they will never peel apart properly again after you freeze them. Slices with the paper between them work a lot better if you're going to freeze them.

7. jwal10

jwal10 Well-Known Member Supporter

Some cheese is better after freezing, I like it drier, more crumbly for eating a chunk....James

8. plath

plath Well-Known Member

It freezes great if you shred it first. I stocked up on brick cheese last year and shredded it before freezing.

9. PlicketyCat

Plath - did you freeze your grated cheese on flat trays first? I had a quart bag of frozen colby turn into a solid mass in my freezer which completely defeated shredding it first... but was wondering if I flat froze it on a cookie sheet (like for berries) first before transferring it to a bag or bowl if that would alleviate the problem.

10. plath

plath Well-Known Member

No I didn't, but I did toss the shreds with a little cornstarch after shredding and they defrosted ok for me. A little sticky, but they definitely weren't a solid mass. I bet freezing it flat would work great though!

11. PlicketyCat

Hmm, I'll have to try dusting it and flat freezing, see if can keep it from clumping up so bad.