Can you feed goats.....

Discussion in 'Goats' started by matt&roxy, Oct 18, 2004.

1. matt&roxy

matt&roxy Active Member

I got some sweet feed today that contains cottonseed hulls and was wondering if I can feed this to my goats. Any help/advice appreciated

God Bless....

Roxy

2. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

If you scroll down a bit on this thread from the sheep archives, you'll find a toxic plants list:

http://homesteadingtoday.com/archive/index.php/t-31663

Cotton isn't on there at all, so I'd imagine cottonseed hulls are fine for your critters to eat.

Incidentally, when you read through the toxics list, realize that alot of toxicity has to do with how much the animal has eaten, whether or not it has an empty stomach when the plant is eaten, and whether or not the animal has been introduced to the plant before.

3. matt&roxy

matt&roxy Active Member

Thank you...Thank you...Thank you...The bag of sweet feed was given to me and I would of hated to of not been able to use it.

God Bless...

Roxy

4. woolyfluff

woolyfluff Well-Known Member

start them on very little at a time not any more than a tuna fish can size day adfter tomorrow ive alittle more and so forth

5. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

My dad was just talking last week about feeding cotton seed hulls to cattle.
    I think it's good for roughage ?

6. matt&roxy

matt&roxy Active Member

Thanks for all the feedback. We gave the two girls some today. We also got this feed from a cattle farmer, he thought it would be okay, but wasn't sure.

God Bless...

Roxy

7. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Of course you can. Cottonseed meal is very high in protein and cottonseed hulls are a very cheap source of fiber. But, are you going to continue giving this to them as their grain? It's not smart to add this and that, then change to something else, you could give it to them as a treat only, a tiny bit (I like the tuna fish can idea) daily. Of course upping the amount if this is going to be your new grain.

I don't feed cottonseed hulls or meal anymore because it is not an FDA controlled food source, meaning that when they spray for bugs on the cotton, and spray to defoliate the leaves from the stem so it's eaiser to pick the cotton, cleaner also, they can use anything they want to do this with. Considered only a byproduct of cotton making, although it is then sold to feed dealers, a nice little loophole.

I also don't want the cheapest products around making up the feed that goes into my goats. Now if my goats didn't supply meat and milk, I wouldn't mind pets eating cottonseed. Vicki