Can you drink raw sheep's milk?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by quailkeeper, Jan 15, 2005.

1. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

This might be a stupid question, but I was wondering if you could drink raw sheep's milk? Is there any tests you would have done before you drink it? I know on a cow there are three or four things you would want to test the cow for before drinking it raw. Thanks!!

2. bergere

bergere Just living Life

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

The boogie monster of raw milk is Q fever, but salmonella, brucilosis, Ecoli, and even Listeria if it's not handled right can be in raw milk. I'm forgetting one, been up through the night looking for new lambs. I don't think the risk is any higher for sheep milk problems than any other animal but then I'm leary of unpasteurized milk plain and simple.

4. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Bergere, I've not been able to get the dairy sheep link to work for a couple months now...is it showing up for anyone else?

Quailkeeper, you can always try a home pastuerizer for it. We've not drank any, I'd hoped to try some baking this year but will pastuerize before I do.

5. quailkeeper

Oh I don't want to pastuerize. It kills all of the good things in milk including flavor. Pastuerizing, however, does not kill salmonella, TB, and several other things. Cooked milk has been linked with heart disease, cancer, ear infections and pretty much everything a child can suffer from. So why bother? There are MANY people out there drinking raw cow's milk I was just wondering why not sheep's milk?

6. inc

inc Well-Known Member

isnt raw milk illegal to sell to the public? just curious.
    i wouldnt bother pasteurising milk for home use- after all, you go out and care for the animal- what are you going to 'catch' from the milk that you dont already come in contact with on a daily basis?

dlskidmore likes this.
  7. kesoaps

No other reason, Quailkeeper. It's supposed to be a nice, sweet milk. Lots of people drink it. In fact, worldwide, it's consumed a great deal (in the 80's more than cow or goat!) So drink up! It's the healthiest milk out there.

8. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

inc, it depends what state you are in. There are 27 states where it is legal to sell raw milk.

Yes, you can drink raw sheep milk if you want. I hear Icelandic are wonderful milkers.

9. tonyaleacht

tonyaleacht tonyaleacht

I hear there are people in Washington that get around the raw milk law by selling Cow Shares. (ie raw milk)

10. doodles

doodles Well-Known Member

I milk our Icelandic ewes. The milk is sweet and very much like a heavy cream. It is smooth and somewhat thicker as it is naturally homogenized. It makes wonderful yogurt,icecream and cheese.

11. quailkeeper

Thank you all for your answers this is what I wanted to hear. Are there any good books out there on milking sheep, making cheese, and such? I have a great book on how to make cheese but it doesn't mention sheep only goats.

12. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Practical Sheep Dairying by Olivia Mills is about the only one aimed at small scale production and is useful if tiring to read. Out of print it was advertised in a Goat magazine for sale and you might find it used on eBay or online somewhere. I think someone knew the name in a previsou post on milking sheep.

13. kesoaps

Quail, any cheese recipe can be used. Wisconsin Extension online has a number of links to sheep dairying in general...wisc ext

Tonyaleacht, check out real milk to learn about shares. Mullers Lane just offered up one on their Jersey and have had great success.

14. Cave_man

Cave_man New Member

Would you drink the milk as your regular milk supply? How would you rate it to cows milk?

15. PNP Katahdins

PNP Katahdins sheep & antenna farming Supporter

Alert: this thread is 9 years old.

Of course you can drink sheep milk. However, most of it goes into cheese, which is the only way I've ever consumed it.

Peg

16. lexierowsell

lexierowsell Well-Known Member

9 years! Wow! I can't believe 2005 was that long ago, hahaha!

Raw milk is the (maybe second to my DH) best thing that has ever happened to me, and I will share my experiences gladly with anyone who would like to know.

Cave_man: Sheeps milk was the most popular milk in the work for a very very VERY long time. I would say that it is a solid product, haha. I am not sure how it would compare taste wise- I have two beautiful jersey cows that spew liquid white gold :D

bergere likes this.
  17. countrygal

countrygal Well-Known Member

We drink our raw sheep milk. It is the best!!! It is so sweet and creamy; we absolutely love it the best.

rickpaul and lexierowsell like this.
  18. dlskidmore

dlskidmore Well-Known Member

Does sheep milk have a higher fat content than cow milk? I need animal fats in my diet, and the highest fat yogurt on the shelf is a sheep milk yogurt.

19. ErikaMay

ErikaMay Well-Known Member

Yes. Cows milk runs 3.5-5% milk fat (though most industrial milk the majority of the cream is siphoned off for other things like butter.) Goat milk, if I remember off the top of my head correctly, runs 6-7% milk fat while sheep milk runs 7-9% milkfat.

It is really rich and creamy. Some of my friends love it, for some the fat content is too high. It varied for me. Some days it was pure magic, some days I didn't care for it straight. Always good in coffee and according to my family, who made a batch when i wasn't around, AWESOME in hot chocolate.

I've got less than a week to go until I'm gonna start getting some again! One of my girls' udder is getting BIG!

20. horsecrazy100

horsecrazy100 Active Member

How much milk does a sheep produce?