Can you disbud a second time?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Starsmom, May 31, 2005.

1. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

My 7 week old buckling has began to grow his horns back. Can they be disbudded a second time? How old is too old to disbud?

I am gonna have someone come out and disbud our baby, and was wondering if it would be a good idea to try the little buckling again. But I only want to do it if it is safe for him. Opinions please.

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Yes, you can dis-bud again. If the horns are too long, clip them off with a hoof nippers or some kind of cutters & then quickly burn them.

3. Starsmom

Thanks, the baby is getting disbudded tomorrow evening, so I'll just have her do him again as well. Thanks. I just hate those little scurs.

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

By 7 weeks the horn base is to big for a regular disbudder to go all the way around the hornbase and burn it correctly. In fact most folks have scurs to begin with from waiting to long, and using the heads that come with their disbudding irons. If you can't stick your thumb in your head, it's inside diameter is too small. You have to burn all the way around the outside of the hornbud to kill it. If you clip the top of the hornbud now, smooth with the head, and then put your disbudding iron on it, you will be doing nothing more than burning the horn into a weird flat shape with a disbudding tool mark on top.

We use the Rhinehart 50, we take off the head and insert a 3/4 inch bushing (inside diameter) Having Nubians we aren't in the great rush of disbudding bucks at 2 days old and does at 3 days old of swiss breeders, but do disbud by 7 days. Less for twins and triplets, around 7 for triplets and quads, especially doelings.

For this buck you might want to just get a 3/4 inch pipe copper fitting, hold it with vicegrips, and stout gloves, heat it on the stove or with a propane torch, having 2 or 3 in the fire will let you not have to wait. Snip off the horn, lay your disbudding iron heated cherry red on it's side to stop the bleeders. Now take one of the fittings and disbud with it, notice how it goes around, and doesn't just rock on top of the hornbud. Make sure he has recevied his tetanus shot with his all important 2nd booster. A little banamine after the disbudding for the pain, and a good spray with Furral. Vicki

5. Starsmom

Thanks Vicki. I took them over today. They used two different disbudders. A small on for the little guy and a larger one for the older one. I got one off all the way, but the other one was too large. When it was done the first time, it was more cosmetic and a full horn was coming in. He hopes he got it, but only time will tell. He also went after the little scurs coming up, but he felt they would come back. The little ones I can deal with, I just hate the big ones that come back all weird shaped and all.