Can you convert house well to livestock waterer?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BJ, Jun 3, 2005.

1. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

On our farm we have an old house well...with the hand pump. We're told it has always had water and it was the only source of water to the original farmstead where they operated a dairy. They used an electric pump in house to pump water to the dairy barn. The house and electric pump are now gone.

Now...there surely must be a resourceful person out there somewhere than has been able to use their old well and make it useful for watering livestock....or the garden. So...is it possible to convert this well to some kind of an automatic watering system for cattle? We are trying to avoid the expense of having a pond dug ($2,000) especially when we have "free" water.

2. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

I am sure some type of powered pump could be used in the well, if the well is good, or a pump jack put on in place of the had pump, and if it is a good well possibly a small submersible or jet pump if the depth is not to great, but a well guy (repair /installer)would probably be the best place to start to ask questions to in your area,

3. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

By all means!! If the well is still good and producing, then it should not be very difficult. When you use the hand pump, does it pump water? Also, do you have electricity there? As long as the well is still good-you can convert to either an electric pump or gas engine pump to operate the existing pump. Or you can pull out the existing pump equipment and install either a submersible or jet pump for probably around $300 or $400 with a manual switch or a little more with a float switch(if you have electricity.)

4. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

You'll need to know the size of the casing. If it's 4" or larger you can put in a submersible pump. If it's 2" you'll have to go with a jet pump. The jet pumps are getting harder and harder to find so you may have to do some looking, but they are still around. The jet pumps also won't pump from as deep as a submersible will.

5. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

6. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

7. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Well---not enough details----But I have this set-up. I am using a 2.8 gallon, 12 volt camper pump(surflo) with a on/off switch---hooked to a 2" pipe/shallow well that is nowhere close to any electric--------I am off-grid. I am getting 1 gallon per minute through a 75ft hose, but thats 1440 gallons per day, more than my animals can drink. What I do is pump the water into a 150 gallon water tank that is setup a few feet off the dirt---its usually filled in a couple of hours--I have a water spiket that I slightly turn own so it can drip into their water bucket(when about empty refill). I have the pump hooked to a deep cycle battery that I recharge about once aweek(according to how much I use it--don't want to drain the bat. to low----bad on the battery) I have solar panels but this well is in the woods-------would have to cut down some pretty tree's to get sun in that area. Its no problem--I have two batteries, grab one off charger throw it on golfcart, carry it to pump, change out, back to charger. Works GOOD. Randy

8. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Randy, cool set up. How far down is the water level in your case? Also, where is the pump located in your setup-above ground or in the well?

9. Fire-Man

I am not sure on the water drop--the well is 47ft deep---, but I didn't go into all the details on the other post, but I have a 90 degree on the well which is 2" pvc, then I have 120ft of 1 1/4 pvc pipe run to a storage shed with the pump at the shed so its drawing water through 167ft of pipe. I have a check valve at the pump and primed the well with a hand pitcher pump. Its been hooked up for about 5 years---Works Good---I also have a 3/4hp shallow well pump that I use sometimes, hooked to a inverter--it produces about 6 gallon's per minute---I hooked a gas farm pump on the well at the top of the 47ft pipe---the well would produce 28 gallons per minute on a good idle or wide open---So I guess you can say I have a 28 gallon per min. well. Randy

10. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Warning --- a hot cow can drink ten-to-thirty gallons of water a day. Are you SURE you want to do that?

11. Fire-Man

Are we sure we want to do what???????????? Water the Cows----------YEA!!

12. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Very good warning- by all means DO NOT water the cows?????????????? By the way, how can you tell which of the cows is "hot"?
    On a more credible note, Randy that is a neat setup. Has it ever lost prime?

13. Fire-Man

Yes, the check valve went bad once---but I replaced the check valve----If I had some cow's I think if I were going to set-up this deal--I would hook this type pump to a float valve in the watering container---this pump has a build in pressure switch(which I backed off some--don't need that 45lb's of pressure)----then you would have to check the battery every couple of days. Randy

14. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm thinking the reference was to pumping water by hand for a herd of cattle? That _is_ a lot of work, & one should think that part through carefully. My mom used to talk about the kids taking turns pumping water for the cattle every day, how long it took.

--->Paul

15. Fire-Man

No Paul the reference was to His Quote"""So...is it possible to convert this well to some kind of an automatic watering system for cattle?""" Got any Idea's??????????? Thanks Randy