Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

We have people building their places here, some doing it themselves, others using sub-contractors, some using kits and all manners & methods in between. A Question I have heard or seen several times is "Can I do it on my own ?" the answer is YES ! I've done it, others here have or are doing it and so can many others BUT it's scary (unless your in the trades) and even then it can still be daunting.

Well I came across this yesterday and figured it's worth posting here... Maybe it will help encourage people to do their own project be it a small Bunkie to a Cabin or whatnot. Enjoy the article and if you follow the links to the youtube video's set aside some time to watch it all. The article is on Popular Mechanics.

Watch One Man Frame an Entire House All By Himself
And make it look easy, to boot.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/ho...873163/thecrazyframer-man-frames-house-alone/

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
one can do a lot of things, with some thinking, and some mechanical help,
one can build most anything, it may take a lifetime, sometimes it takes a few lifetimes, even with help, most things take a lifetime, that are worthwhile,

most farms are many times are generational farms, my grandfather homesteaded my place, my dad improved on it and I have farmed it for 40 years, and nearlying my contribution to the place,

·
Otiose Endomorph
3,613 Posts
A bit cathartic watching him do it all by himself. In the dead of winter no less...
He definitely has little fear of heights. Never see me walking the top of a wall. Also interesting in how he does it...some unique sheathing.
Have to love architects...don't know how many gables are on that roof (too many to count), but if it wasn't for the engineered trusses, one could be there a while, if they had to do them from scratch. I pity the person who has to do the roofing and soffit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm impressed. I'll be watching more of his videos for sure. Thanks for sharing this.

I always feel like, with the internet, I can usually figure out how to do something. But what really kept me from trying to take on my current house build myself is that I have to work a full time job and I don't have a large group of friends to draw on for help. This guy has figured out how to work around the second problem. He's champ.

In my current woodshed video (in another post), I do build a pretty large shed myself. My trick has always been to use temporary screws to hold up one side of a long board while I'm working on the other side. But it does add a lot of time and effort to a project.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts