Can you breed for sex?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by moonspinner, Nov 12, 2004.

1. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

This one's for a friend. She wants to know if she breeds her does early in the cycle will the chance for doe kids be greater? She says this seems to work in her horse breeding and wonders if it may apply to goats. She also says she bred her last three does late in their cycle and got mainly buck kids. I am unaware of any approach that will increase odds of doe kids. Does this, in theory have something to do with the different lifespans of male and female sperm?

2. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

All I can say for your friend is "Good Luck!!"
    People all over the world have tried natural ways to get the sex of the kid, human or not.. Vinegar, cycles of the moon, standing up, right when a dog barks..
    :eek: :no: :eek:
    No, short of mixing sperm and eggs in a petri dish and selecting for the sex of the kid, it's really up to biology..
    If it had been any easier, my dad would have had at least one boy out of all us girls..!!! :haha: :haha: :haha:

3. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

we had a buck that never gave us bucks... it got so that we hoped for a buckling each year and was disappointed most years. He was an alpine and we finally donated him to Heifer Project when we couldnt use him anymore.

4. geminigoats

geminigoats Well-Known Member

Now thats a different situation there Caroline. Not many bucks throw does.

I too have heard those stories about early and late cycle breedingand the life of the sperm too, and as Stacy said, all those other remedies. Its so hard to know really, lots of variables there. The doe chants work good....LOL:) That was a joke on one of the old lists I was on yrs ago, everyone would do doe chants. All I can suggest is trying it to see, what works for one may or may not work for someone else and you might find it works for you.

Bernice