Can you believe this? :grit:

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by almostthere, Nov 18, 2005.

1. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

From my local paper. I am glad the other teachers are sticking up for this little girl! If I was that little I'd be scared out of my mind too!!!There are some really great schools out there and when people pull stunts like this it makes it bad on everybody.

AZ Student Handcuffed, Drugged In School
    Nov 18, 2005, 06:53 AM PST

School officials in Arizona are in trouble and parents are seething, after a third-grade girl was reportedly brought to school in handcuffs, then forced to take pills.

"This never should have happened. This child never should have been brought into a classroom full of kids." Parents at a PTA meeting are asking some tough questions after a third-grade girl arrives at school Tuesday in handcuffs.

Teachers watched in horror. "We saw it. We are appalled by it and that is all we could really do."

Tami Davis' little girl is still talking about it. "She told me they brought her in handcuffs, kicking and screaming, then they handcuffed her feet, and we were told not to talk about it, and that's basically what she told me."

Students claim the little girl was so distraught, the school psychologist forced pills down her throat. "I understand medicines were used that were totally illegal and should have never been there."

The school district is looking into what happened. They claim the girl had a fight with her mother that morning. "There was a police intervention; the girl brought to school in handcuffs," says Karyn Morse.

An investigation is underway, but there is already some fallout. The principal and psychologist were placed on administrative leave.

School District Spokesperson Karyn Morse says, "We take these allegations seriously, which is why we do our internal investigation and put staff members on leave until it's completed."

2. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

Where is this in az?

3. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I am constant amazed at the stupidity of human kind!

4. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Lisa I don't know, this is the whole article I got on my online newspaper.

Sisterpine I hear ya. Did they really think they could get away with it?

5. RachAnn in NW Okla

RachAnn in NW Okla Well-Known Member

Hi~

I found no record online about such incidence however I did find Karyn Morse at a

Washington Elementary School District #6
    Phoenix AZ

Rachel

6. Tweetybird

Tweetybird Well-Known Member

We had something similar happen in the next state, Rhode Island. They brought the police into the school and handcuffed the child. Was a little first or second grader, I think. It was a while back, but I think the school got into really hot water.

7. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Seems to me that would be a very good day for the child to NOT attend school,ya think?????????

BooBoo

8. Northumberland

Northumberland Well-Known Member

I am just sitting here shaking my head, I just can't believe some of the things that go on in this world. Who do we blame, the parents, the police, the school - seems there is more than enough blame to go around.

9. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

A third grader means she is 7 or 8? She had a fight with her mom? Maybe her mom should be the one in handcuffs. I don't know what to think about this, it's beyond my comprehension.

10. Country Doc

Country Doc Well-Known Member

She is being taught that when your child acts up, be violent. She will be a mess of a mother someday. Peoples stupidity never ceases to amaze me,

11. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

So, so sad. What the heck is going on in this world? It's like those rotten daytime T.V. shows... just makes me wish I had a barfing smiley icon... so sad.

12. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

Here is a news report from the local newspaper (Phoenix):

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/1118handcuffedstudent18-ON.html

Girl handcuffed at school; officials on leave

Beth DeFalco
    Associated Press
    Nov. 18, 2005 03:10 PM

A west Phoenix elementary school principal and school psychologist were placed on paid leave following an incident involving an 8-year-old girl allegedly handcuffed in her classroom by police, school officials said.

According to police, the incident started Tuesday morning while officers were conducting a welfare check on the third-grade girl. Phoenix Sgt. Lauri Williams said the girl was reportedly running down the middle of a street and was almost hit by a car.

Williams confirmed that the girl was brought to class at Lakeview Elementary School by an officer and was handcuffed "at some point." Williams said Friday that she didn't have additional details about the incident.

A school district spokeswoman, Karyn Morse, said school officials were conducting an investigation and were still trying to determine exactly what took place in the classroom once the girl arrived.

"It raises concern," Morse said of reports on how the girl was restrained.

Eight-year-old Taylor Davis, who said she was in the classroom at the time, described the incident as scary and confusing for the other students.

"I was just working and I heard her screaming. Then they started handcuffing her on her legs and on her arms," Davis said, adding that she saw officials put their hand over the girl's mouth to quiet her down. "I felt kinda sad ... cause I didn't want her to go to jail or get hurt or anything."

While Morse wouldn't provide details about what happened in the classroom, she said the girl's mother followed police to the school, briefly leaving only to bring back an antidepressant medication prescribed for the girl.

"There's background information on this student going through some separation anxiety dealing with issues in the home," Morse said. "So at the request of the psychologist, the mother was not in the classroom."

Morse said the medication was administered by the school principal and psychologist in the classroom.

The psychologist, Burke Bretzing, declined to comment, saying he was told by school officials not to publicly talk about it because an investigation was ongoing.

A woman who answered the phone at principal Cherri Rifenburg's home said the same thing.

The girl remained at school for the rest of the day after the incident, Morse said, and didn't appear to have been physically harmed.

Nonetheless, other parents were concerned after hearing about the incident, especially the fact that students said they were told not to talk about what happened.

"They said that it is (the girl's) business," Taylor Davis said.

Davis' mother, Tami Davis, said she was appalled when her daughter relayed what she saw.

"My daughter was actually afraid to tell us," Tami Davis said. "It's horrifying."

School officials and police planned to hold a meeting with parents on Friday night at the school to answer questions, Morse said.

13. Lindafisk

Lindafisk Well-Known Member

Why would anyone let this happen to their kid? And how could people do this in a school in front of other kids? Geez, I am appalled and scared to death too, what is wrong with people?

14. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

I know i'm going to be blasted by this reply.

I have been a foster parent and have worked in a residential home setting for kids. you have no idea what is out there. kids are born these days with fetal alcahol, drugs, ciggerette smoke. i would never judge that mother, because you just don't know what the problem is. So many kids in the foster care system are just not able to make it in normal homes. they get adopted and get put back into the system after several years, because they just have so many problems. its not love, its not patience, its not discipline. this lady could be a foster parent, i don't know. i made the mistake once of judging someone with a kid, that was adopted and hurt a friendship because i didn't think they tried hard enough. this lady could just have a child with lots of problems, that she cant control.

but i do have to question the judgement of police taking a kid to school in cuffs.

randy

15. Stickywitch

Stickywitch Well-Known Member

Can you hear the kids mocking taunts in the playground?
    Well, just you wait...
    In the meantime, make room in your prisons for this future felon...
    They've started a catilyst that has done some real damage to this poor child now.. :grump:

16. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm with Randy on this one. I've also worked residential, and I do attachment work with families.

You never know frustration until you're dealing with a kid that age who has "issues' -- it's not pretty. Seems that the kid should have a different placement, though.

I have a feeling the damage was done to this child long before the classroom incident.

That said, it could have been handled much differently at the school. And telling children not to discuss things with their parents is disturbing.

Don't condemn the child to prison as an adult because of what's going on in her life now. Mental illness is not a prison sentence.

Pony!

17. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes it was handled poorly, but I've done foster care for a dozen years, and there are some kids out there who are in horrendous shape. At one school I worked a 7-year-old kicked a pregnant teacher in the belly and she nearly lost the baby.

I wonder who provided the cuffs and how the school psychologist happened to have prescription meds on hand? There's more to this than meets the eye.

18. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

I am with you on this Randy, I too have been a foster parent with as many as 11 kids in my home and it is a very, very, hard thing to do...some of these children will never be "normal"...I have had kids that didnt know how to "sleep" on a bed...they slept under it (because they were scared), I have had children actually scream and throw themself down the stairs so they would hurt themself (and this was because i wanted them to go outside and play and they didnt want to) I have had kids threaten me, We have had runners, we even had one who punched my hubby in the face, we have even had to restrain kids at times and trust me it is very hard, but you do the best you can with as much love as you can at the time... I too just dont know enough to judge this woman... I know we get some horrible looks and comments (even from friends and family) when we deal with our son who had ODD. I would never do the same to this woman with out knowing the whole real story...

I too question the police and their part of this...

Belinda

19. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

I, too, have great feelings of compassion for the mother and child, as well as the people having to do with it.

But who on earth left the rest of the classmates in the room to witness this horror? It seems an instant recess was called for. I certainly don't think children that age have the maturity to handle that scene.

20. Natureschild

Natureschild Well-Known Member

:( poor little thing. Someone needs to give her a real home with stable parent(s).
    Then someone needs to smack everyone who was okay with the little girl getting handcuffed.