Can you "adjust" too much?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by largentdepoche, Jan 13, 2007.

1. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

I've disscussed this many times with my husband about our living situation and all.

We've adjusted to being poor. It's no biggie really, I'm still 1000% better off than many people in the world. We're fed, healthy, and fine.

Let's say that you end up losing all your things, your house, your car, etc. You end up living in a tent in the woods somewhere. You wash your clothes by hand and you have food, you are kept warm by a fire. That is shelter/clothing/and food right there. Let's say you are so used to this in a couple of months you couldn't imagine being in a house again.

Can you ever adjust too much to a situation?

I'd have to say no because you do what you need to do to survive.

Kat

2. SweetSarah

SweetSarah Well-Known Member

I think as long as what you do works for you and doesn't hurt anyone else, then no you can't adjuct too much.

3. Beaners

Beaners Incubator Addict

I could see adjusting too far in the opposite direction. Lots of people don't think they could live without that huge house and huge car payment.

I think adjusting goes too far when you can no longer relate to the people you surround yourself with. When you think someone is absolutely nuts for having anything dry cleaned, you're probably about as out there as the people that wear things once then throw them away. Just my opinion though, as long as you are living within your means and are happy, the rest of adjusting is just a personal choice.

Kayleigh

4. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

well, I have been accused of adjusting too much to those around me... been told that I should demand some rights, take what is mine etc....

But when I go all out and quit adjusting to what *they* want... they get bent out of shape :shrug:

5. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

I think as long as you're not 'adjusting' to a situation that's bad for you, like making excuses for abuse and adjusting your behavior or living below your potential and adjusting for that then it's ok. We're supposed to adjust to some things or we would just be miserable all the time! I've had to adjust to the fact that I probably will never be a size eight again and I'll never be a gymnast like I was in high school.

6. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I'd have to say that it is possible to "adjust too much" as in "get too comfortable in a situation which isn't a long term solution." I'm mindful of a really sweet young couple who landed on our doorstep last fall, at the end of October, with a crackerjack of a 6 year old daughter.

They'd spent the summer camping in a local park looking for housing. They got here, he immediately got a job in construction, which, naturally, means he took their vehicle to get to work every day. She and the daughter stayed at the campground. It must have been tough on her, but she made do and the two of them had a fun summer... but there was never time to find a place to live... and now it is below freezing at night and the campground is closing.

Anyhow, they ended up having to move back to where they came from and in with family.

You can get too comfortable where you are and forget that you can't stay there indefinitely.

7. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I believe that being able to adjust to anything is what has kept the human race alive. It is probably the single most important aspect of survivial of the human race. Not only can we adapt to different living conditions but we can also learn to thrive in them.

People these days have too much comfort and as a result do not appreciate what they have and have a "longing" for "something else" although they cannot put their finger on what they are longing for. I think many of us have that, and that is why we seek out the homesteading lifestyle, which is considerably more difficult and challenging than some cushy life. Instinctively, it seems that we know that often hard work and a little adversity gives us a much keener sense of satisfaction about what we do.

Although there are people who take this to extremes, I don't think that you can adjust too much. I think you adjust as much as is necessary to be happy and continue on with your life.

donsgal