1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
337 Posts
some people can and do it easy.. however i am haveing a hard time with it.. just glad i do not have one of those smart items that records everything ya say like alexa or google.. it would go crazy listening to me talk to me myself and I or all three of us.. so my thoughts.. a touch is needed a smile looking your way someone handing you a glass of water for the meal... its the little things that i miss the most and there are a lot of little things.. mark

·
Registered
61 Posts
As just one manifestation of my PTSD, i have not wanted to have friends since Vietnam.
I do have acquaintances that I interact with on occasion, but essentially I live a hermit like life. If I do not HAVE to leave the farm and go into town, I do not.
The only exception is the annual reunions of my Army Infantry Division. To be with my buddies I will go to great lengths. Just a month ago I drove a 3,000 mile round trip to be with them for a weekend.

·
Registered
337 Posts
As just one manifestation of my PTSD, i have not wanted to have friends since Vietnam.
I do have acquaintances that I interact with on occasion, but essentially I live a hermit like life. If I do not HAVE to leave the farm and go into town, I do not.
The only exception is the annual reunions of my Army Infantry Division. To be with my buddies I will go to great lengths. Just a month ago I drove a 3,000 mile round trip to be with them for a weekend.
i remember that time period i was attending fort carson high school and was friend of the soldiers and the kids of the soldiers
the storys was enough for me to not want to go.. so ya .. its been a long time and well ya know the rest of the story
my best to ya.. one day at a time .. and be mindfull and here is a meaning of that word for ya

Mindfulness is the basic human ability to be fully present, aware of where we are and what we’re doing, and not overly reactive or overwhelmed by what’s going on around us.
Whenever you bring awareness to what you’re directly experiencing via your senses, or to your state of mind via your thoughts and emotions, you’re being mindful. And there’s growing research showing that when you train your brain to be mindful, you’re actually remodeling the physical structure of your brain.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
some people can and do it easy.. however i am haveing a hard time with it.. just glad i do not have one of those smart items that records everything ya say like alexa or google.. it would go crazy listening to me talk to me myself and I or all three of us.. so my thoughts.. a touch is needed a smile looking your way someone handing you a glass of water for the meal... its the little things that i miss the most and there are a lot of little things.. mark

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As we grow older we don’t lose friends. We just learn who the real friends are.
You should have a good idea about who cares about you, and who doesn’t. Put the people who care about you first, and the people who don’t care behind you.

Sort through all of your friends in the same manner. Go through all the criteria. Don’t be afraid to be harsh. Chances are, if they never cared much about you, they aren’t going to care that you don’t think of them as a friend.

It’s not about you viciously cutting away at friendships, but considering who are the most important people in your life, and who you are going to put first. After all, if you know who cares about you, you know who you can turn to, and not have to wonder who you can trust.

https://www.dumblittleman.com/know-who-your-friends-are/

The worst kind of loneliness is to be surrounded by people and still feel alone.

Reactions: 67drake and georger

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,637 Posts
It seems like physical friends are harder as adults. Those that I've had since I was a kid are parents and traveling out of the house or doing things is out of the question. I'm tired of being the person who seems to need to visit because anyone with children cannot. I know it's harder but when I was a kid, that was hardly the norm.

The topic raises a good point though. I've been independent since I was a kid and socializing is something I can do minimally of.

·
Registered
337 Posts
It seems like physical friends are harder as adults. Those that I've had since I was a kid are parents and traveling out of the house or doing things is out of the question. I'm tired of being the person who seems to need to visit because anyone with children cannot. I know it's harder but when I was a kid, that was hardly the norm.

The topic raises a good point though. I've been independent since I was a kid and socializing is something I can do minimally of.
that is kinda sad also.

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,637 Posts
^ It is. I visit my best friend at least once a year. She lives a little under 1.5 hours away. In three years she's visited once and had to have someone watch the two kids. My other friends live in my town five minutes away and they've only visited once-- trick-or-treating with the kids.

·
Registered
337 Posts
^ It is. I visit my best friend at least once a year. She lives a little under 1.5 hours away. In three years she's visited once and had to have someone watch the two kids. My other friends live in my town five minutes away and they've only visited once-- trick-or-treating with the kids.
life is not black or white .. it complicated for your friends may not be the type to go out .. and you might be.. i have friends like that also. i have not been invited to there house for thanksgiving or other days. for years however if things got in a pinch.. i could call and they would drop everything and be at my door step in a heartbeat.. so how do i take that?
some people would say they dont care . i dont think that i think and hope is that they are busy living there life and dream on there little 160 acer farm to really think about me.. me sitting here thinks about me and that is my problem to be solved and not theres.. so i try to see the up side for the down side it just too crappy to look at. my thought is

DO NO HARM

·
newfieannie
10,206 Posts
it's a good thing i like my own company. everyone i grew up with is gone. they have been gone for years. last of the ones i made since i moved to nova scotia all went during covid(not from covid) so i haven't seen anyone except my son for over 2 years. good thing i have a garden though. if i had to move back into a condo i'd be finished.

never lonely. i have gardening spring ,summer and fall and the rest of the time i'm lost in my books or baking and whatnot. i use to attend a lot of afternoon teas,potlucks craft sales etc fall and winter but now that i can't go anymore i got use to it very quickly. saved a bunch of money also. i have the biggest kind of conversations with myself. that's common unless somebody answers back if there's no one there but you. then you got a problem. ~Georgia

·
Registered
337 Posts
it's a good thing i like my own company. everyone i grew up with is gone. they have been gone for years. last of the ones i made since i moved to nova scotia all went during covid(not from covid) so i haven't seen anyone except my son for over 2 years. good thing i have a garden though. if i had to move back into a condo i'd be finished.

never lonely. i have gardening spring ,summer and fall and the rest of the time i'm lost in my books or baking and whatnot. i use to attend a lot of afternoon teas,potlucks craft sales etc fall and winter but now that i can't go anymore i got use to it very quickly. saved a bunch of money also. i have the biggest kind of conversations with myself. that's common unless somebody answers back if there's no one there but you. then you got a problem. ~Georgia
oh me i talk to myself and i .. and sometimes i am wrong even. me myself and i must have a problem.. the dog helps..
glad i do not have a alexa or google mic.. might get one when i am more feeble body wise.. might be a idea

1 - 17 of 17 Posts