can tomatoes do too well

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by steff bugielski, Aug 7, 2005.

1. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

My tomato plants are out of control. They are huge and full of fruit. So much that the vines are starting to break. The variety is Celebrity. I have tied them to the fence with twine over and over again. The plants are about 5' tall with stems the diameter of a half dollar. I have had to cut off lots of foliage just to find the tomatoes. I wish I was more talented with the computer I would put up a picture. This is one variety to keep in mind for zone 4/5. I have not gotten any ripe ones yet, but that is normal for here. They ripen around the middle of August. now if I only had some peppers to go with them.
    Steff

2. gardentalk

gardentalk Well-Known Member

What are you feeding your tomato plants? D.E.? Miracle Grow? Ammonium Nitrate? :p

3. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

My celebrities have gotten over six feet tall, and have produced huge volumes of tomatoes. I'm in zone 7. Celebrity is a good variety to grow, only problem with it is that it is a determinant tomato. (Well, maybe in your neck of the woods that isn't a problem, but in zone 7, I can grow tomatoes from late June through November with a good, strong indeterminant variety.)

My plants grow in a rich black soil, full of organic material, composted horse manure, etc.

4. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

My Arkansas Travelers and Brandywines are six feet tall or better. I've tied them up over & over again, too! They got mulch, rabbit manure, and manure tea. I've never had tomatoes grow like this - strong vines, lots of fruit, and no blossom end rot. I'm in Zone 5. Have already made three batches of tomato juice, put a bunch of tomatoes in the freezer, dehydrated some, and am making salsa tonight. Of course, I've had many many tomato sandwiches, too! Yummmmm!

NeHi Mama

5. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

We're also having a record year here in zone 5! I'm telling you, they look like something you should go at with a machete to hack down! I have celebrities, big boys, bush tomatoes, and several cherry tomato plants that came up volunteer from last years fallen fruit. I tried something new just for fun this year. I planted one against the woven wire fence, and espaliered it just like a fruit tree. It worked great! The vine is flat against the fence and fans out about 4 feet in each direction. The fruits are huge and unobstructed. I'm definately going to do a few more like that next year!

6. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

Depending on when your first frost date is (ours is 9/15), you can go through the plants and pinch all the growing tips off. I do this about now, since the plants haven't a hope of ripening any fruit they set after the middle of August; it makes them put their energy into ripening what they already have instead of trying -- uselessly -- to make more. This works especially well with indeterminate varieties.

7. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

this is the first year in 15 that I'm getting a decent crop and It is mind blowing this year in zone 5 upstate ny. Tomatoes are so big and bushy that I have triple stked and caged them. tomatoes so big we are picking them green to ripen indoors. In years past I have put 5 bales of peat moss in, raised the beds, installed drip irrigation, added gypsum cause of terrible clay soil, used commercial fertilizers, all the leaves I could find, planted cover crops, and compost......nothin. This year I bought five chickens so I added chicken manure to a five foot wide stretch and I can't harvest fast enough.The extra carbon dioxide in the atmosphere helps some too Possibly.